MAP's Reviews > Lend Me Leave

Lend Me Leave by Barbara Cornthwaite

Apr 27, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, romance, derivative
Read in April, 2012

This review encompasses both books, because they're really just one book. Simply, it's Emma written from Mr. Knightley's POV, but really, it's much more than that.

I have been avoiding Jane Austen fan fiction for years because 1: it always seemed like fanservice wish-fulfillment ("I want to see Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy have sex!!") and 2: because I was pretty sure if I wanted to read that I could get better stories on fanfiction.net for free.

However, the first book was a Kindle Freebie and Mr. Knightley is my favorite Austen character (suck it Mr. Darcy) so I went for it.

I was really really surprised. Ms. Cornthwaite did a great job of capturing the spirit of Austen writing without trying to overly force the style, of capturing Mr. Knightley's character, and of expanding Mr. Knightley's life in Donwell beyond the story. She expanded on minor characters from the novel and created new ones of her own that seamlessly wove in. She enhanced the relationship between Mr. Knightly and his brother in a way that was both believable and very fun. And her arc of Mr. Knightley discovering his love for Emma was flawless. Ultimately I think what made this a great book is that even though you KNOW how it's going to turn out in the end, there is literally no wiggle room on the outcome, you STILL are on the edge of your seat with suspense for Mr. Knightley.

And in true Austen fashion, no, there is no sex. Sorry fanwankers!

There were a couple of flaws: I didn't like Knightley talking to the cat (it seemed contrived) and I felt that splitting it into 2 books was just a scam to get more money, since both books were about 250 pages long, and one 500 page book isn't exactly unheard of. However, since I got the first book for free, it's hardly like I can complain.

I don't know who this Barbara Cornthwaite is, but she's good and she needs to do more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lend Me Leave.

03/21/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Marit (new)

Marit Fanwankers? That's an awesome term. I agree with your hesitancy about fan fiction, of any type! Glad to know this one was worth it. I love Mr. Knightley too, perhaps more than Darcy.

message 2: by MAP (new) - rated it 5 stars

MAP Yes, and I even did my research before using the term!

Third definition: Eroticization of fandom, including slash fandom, shipping (fandom), racy fan service, cosplay, etc.

Mr. Knightley is definitely preferred over Mr. Darcy for me. Not that there's anything wrong with Darcy, I just like Knightley better, because, you know, Jeremy Northam.

message 3: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) I have the same fears when it comes to fan-fiction/retellings/continutations. I want to revisit the characters as I know them not read about their intimate moments. This is an author I've never heard of so I'll have to add the 1st one to my list.

I didn't realize fanwankers was a recognized word or the depth of it definition. And I have no idea what shipping fandom is.

message 4: by MAP (new) - rated it 5 stars

MAP Shipping is when you want 2 people to be in a relationship together, or when you are pro a certain pre-existing relationship in a fandom. So for example some people "ship" Chandler/Monica, an actual Friends relationship, but some people also ship Joey/Phoebe, a non-existent relationship on Friends that people wish had happened. It just means you like the thought of those two people together (in a relationship, ship is short for relationship, and turned into a verb, obviously) in a particular fandom.

I know way way waaaaaaay too much about this.

message 5: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) Wow, I was way off from the nautical themes, ha-ha. But now it makes sense. I realize that fandom is this whole little world onto itself I just didn't know it was so defined.

I'm happy to find an Austenalia that I can read and not have to worry about a down and dirty sex scene between beloved characters. Some of these books have had scenes that have just left an indelible stain (ugly pun intended) and I really just don't get it.

message 6: by MAP (new) - rated it 5 stars

MAP Blech. There's a time and a place for that, I suppose, but I don't really want it on my Austen.