Shawn's Reviews > The House of Velvet and Glass

Apr 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: own-book
Read in May, 2012

This current book by Katherine Howe was a disappointment, to say the least.... I would have given it a 2 1/2 stars if they had it, as it was tedious to get through. I really liked the premise of a young woman trying to come to terms with losing her Mother and younger sister on the Titanic, so she decides to visit seances to try and connect with her dead mother. I thought that it would be interesting to see how people related to the searching of "spirits" in those times, but then the book took a different turn. All of the sudden, the storyline began to jump back and forth to her fathers life, when he was young, and his problem with an opium addiction. Then, our heroine begin to take opium....which has an interesting affect on her.... What? Where did this come from?

The story line also went back to the mother and daughter as they are on the dreaded ship, which made no sense at all to the climax of the story. It just made it creepy and weird, quite frankly.

I kept reading, determined to finish it, as I had liked the Deliverance Dane book, so thought that there would be a redeeming factor right on the next page, but when I found out what the big surprise was----about 3/4 of the way into the book----I didn't really care, and just wanted it to end....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Velvet and Glass.