Linna's Reviews > Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Apr 27, 2012

bookshelves: originality, spectacular-all-time-favorites, surprisingly-good, impossible-to-put-down, gorgeous-writing, highly-recommended, favorite-protagonists
Read from May 21 to October 26, 2012

"All I have done is buy myself time, the time to write this. I haven't really told anyone anything of use. I've only told a story.
But I have told the truth. Isn't that ironic? The sent me because I am so good at telling lies. But I have told the truth."

My time with Code Name Verity reminds me of that day I read The Book Thief, but not because they both took place during WWII. It's that when I first started reading them I was bored and frustrated-- the narration was too rambly and vague, the plot was confusing and disjointed-- but somewhere that frustration fades away as the characters defy expectations, and before I know it I've become glued to the pages until the last, heartbreaking, soul-destroying page. You're supposed to wonder why Verity is recounting the story of how her best friend Maddie became a pilot, when her current situation is so dire. But the genius of it is that that's also what's making you read on; it's the story of how she ended up here, and it's also so much more than that. Yes, this is the kind of book that's so much better when you don't know what to expect, so I'll leave my attempt at explaining the ingenious plot at that. I will tell you that it's full of my favorite things--unreliable narrators, fantastic plot twists, suspense and foreshadowing (that you'll only catch the second time around), friendship, characters that are far more complex than they seem, and above all, just a really fantastic story. There are so many books that you can predict the entire plot just by looking at the cover and reading the synopsis, but Code Name Verity is something else, something that messes with everything you thought you knew, everything that you think will happen, in an intelligently written (and occasionally sob-inducing) package.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.

Quotes Linna Liked

Elizabeth Wein
“It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.”
Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity

Elizabeth Wein
“I am no longer afraid of getting old. Indeed I can't believe I ever said anything so stupid. So childish. So offensive and arrogant.
But mainly, so very, very stupid. I desperately want to grow old.”
Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity

05/21/2012 page 86
19.0% "Not really hooked yet, we'll see"
10/24/2012 page 200
44.0% "Brilliant. Absolutely BRILLIANT. I have so many things due but I cannot put this book down."
10/25/2012 page 285
63.0% "oh my gOD OH MY GOD OH MY GODOHMYGODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" 4 comments

Sonia It took a long time for me to actually want to keep reading, TBH. It picked up for me though later on... Hopefully it does for you too if you plan on continuing! :)

Linna I will for sure, but I'm so confused at what's going on that I'm worried I'll miss out on the brilliance on what happens later. I think I'll try restarting with a clear mind when I get the chance :]

message 3: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Damm, I almost bought this today!

Linna You're missing out! Go back and buy it asap!! ;P

message 5: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela I agree with all your comments about Code Name Verity, the plot twists were great and I LOVED the second half. But I'm surprised that you said it took you a while to get into The Book Thief, I found it was instantly gripping!