Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > No Longer a Gentleman

liked it
Read from May 03 to June 04, 2012

Review posted at Demon Lover's Books and More

3.5 flames

This book has so many things to like about it, but for some reason I really couldn’t get into it. I wanted to rate it higher, I truly did. But I just...can’t.

I don’t normally do reviews in the like/dislike format, but I really have had a hard time reviewing this book. Because it didn’t work for me, but I can see the marketability of this book, I think this format works.

I’ll start with the things I liked:

-The heroine is a spy, and a really great master of disguise
-The book mostly takes place in France during the Napoleonic War
-The hero is imprisoned in a dungeon for 10 excruciatingly long years
-His PTSD is never glossed over, he’s not miraculously “normal” once rescued
-The heroine rescues the hero
-The hero is attracted to the heroine while she’s in disguise, so he really is attracted to her personality and wit
-The book is well-written

What I didn’t like:

-The first 8 chapters or so are done in a back and forth format (10 yrs ago, present time, ten years ago, present time. etc)
-I couldn’t get into the heroine’s character
-There was a bit of predictability to it
-The heroine never could see her beauty, but in one scene she admits she that with her looks, she looks like a man’s high price mistress
-It took Cassie way too long to even consider the prospect of marrying Grey
-The ending was too tidy

Basically Grey, the golden child and heir to an earldom, is playing at being a spy in France. He sees a married woman who is known for her indiscretions, and he thinks to seduce information about her husband from her. Her husband finds them in bed together and imprisons Grey. In his private dungeon. For ten long years.

Cassie was minor English/French nobility, her family was killed during the beginning of the Revolution whilst in France, and she was the only remaining member. She became a spy, and worked her butt off to get rid of Napoleon. Cassie became a master of disguise and espionage. When she has a chance to help her boss Kirkland find information on his friend Grey, whom everyone has assumed dead, she heads off to France. What she finds is Grey is alive and she is able to free both him, and his only companion a priest.

I think that while this book wasn’t for me, that many readers will enjoy it. You have all this action, all this emotion and tension, and then for a short bit, we see Grey trying to readjust to society. Then a bit more espionage and action. I think Grey was a great character. His imprisonment forever changed him, he didn’t miraculously hit English soil and become normal. He had panic attacks, he had issues with too many people and close spaces. He had a violent temper. Cassie helped him, she was stable, and he liked her. His like blossomed to love, but she couldn’t accept it. Not just for the whole “I’m a spy, you’re going to be an earl” bit, but because she genuinely felt it was just that she was the first woman he’d been with in a decade.

I think this is where I began to have issues with Cassie. She was so intelligent and cunning, yet she couldn’t believe that he would ever want her. She’s damaged goods. But so was he. And I feel like his pain and angst was forefront, and hers was glossed over. She quickly and easily was able to leave the spy game and jump into her future, no problem. The ending was sweet, but predictable, as was the use of the bad guy and his plot.

Again, this didn’t work for me, but I can see many other readers enjoying it. And there were a lot of great points to this book.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Longer a Gentleman.

05/03/2012 page 27
8.0% "I'm not sure I like the whole every other chapter is 10 yrs ago, present, 10 yrs ago, present..
But hopefully that changes now by ch5
Other than that, this is really interesting"
05/03/2012 page 42
12.0% "Nope. Ch. 8 and still back and forth"
05/03/2012 page 93
26.0% "I like Grey quite a bit"
05/03/2012 page 97
28.0% "Oh ugh. That sex scene was awful.
Will Cassie keep her disguise this whole book?!"
05/05/2012 page 180
51.0% "So, wait, I'm confused. has Cassie washed out the grey hair dye yet? She says she looks like a middle=aged washer woman, but she's 29..."
05/10/2012 page 180
51.0% "okay, so I'm going to put this on hold since I dont think it's for me. I'd say it's about a 3 star read for me, BUT I think a lot of others may love it. The writing just isn't doing it for me, and the heroine is weird. I'll finish it up, but I'm kind of wondering where they can go from here?" 6 comments
05/31/2012 page 209
59.0% "Hmm..his father miraculously woke up after hearing Grey's voice?"
06/03/2012 page 280
80.0% "Aaand...they're back in france. Of course." 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

♡Karlyn P♡ I almost DNF'd midway too. Wish I did. The last half didn't get better, IMHO. I think you can guess where they end up (view spoiler)

Laura the Highland Hussy oh lord. Did the bad guy grab the priest and hold him hostage?

message 3: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited May 13, 2012 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "oh lord. Did the bad guy grab the priest and hold him hostage?"

Lol, could it have ended any other way? Yep. Then there is the confession barfing by bad guys, ugh! (view spoiler)

Laura the Highland Hussy Oh gag.

Out of curiosity, do you remember if she ever dresses her actual age? she seems to be in grey hair still, but with the makeup washed off of her face.

message 5: by Buggy (new) - added it

Buggy Great review Laura, I especially liked your liked and disliked lists, I'm going to try this one

message 6: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Jul 06, 2012 08:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy Buggy wrote: "Great review Laura, I especially liked your liked and disliked lists, I'm going to try this one"

thanks Buggy :) Sometimes it's the only way to keep my thoughts coherent, y'know?

I hope you like it-it really has a lot going for it.