Ravenous Biblioworm's Reviews > Unison Spark

Unison Spark by Andy Marino

U_50x66
Apr 27, 12

Rating: 2.5/5

And I thought the social networking craze of today was crazy. Mistletoe’s (aka Anna) world is even more insane. Marino creates a very interesting world with characters that propel forward into the midst of the ultimate social networking place. As I read through the novel, there are moments were I can relate to the book because of its references to the social networking world. But near the end the story jumbles and losing its grip on a firm reality. The web becomes real and reality becomes the interweb and soon I suddenly realize: I am lost.

The characters had a lot of potential. I understood them as a reader, but I didn’t quite feel them. There are very close moments (i.e. where Ambrose wanted to live in the memory of him chasing his brother after he threw a marble off the building) where I thought, “Wow, that was kind of a rich emotional experience.” I felt the longing and solitude at that moment and also felt the weight of Ambrose’s trouble with that simple memory. But for the most part the novel skims over the deep emotional aspect. Don’t misunderstand. I knew when they were happy, scared, and even when their feelings were being manipulated. It was told very well. There’s just wasn't enough of an emotional punch for a reader to fall in love with the characters or like the characters (or think them to be friends). Mistletoe could have been a great strong hero but she wasn’t pushed hard enough to be that badass chick. Even though she was the lead her connection to me fell below of that of Ambrose. I knew nothing of her. Besides that fact that Jiri may have been a father figure to her. Aside that I knew nothing of her personality aside the facts that she trying to survive in a tough world.

The tough world was hard to picture. This is where majority of the points is lost. While the idea comes across well the execution was a little shabby. I kept trying to imagine picture their world and I couldn’t. There wasn’t enough to go on and I felt like the gaps in my head were too bothersome. They live in skyscrapers. Large massive skyscrapers with holodecks (my borrowed word from Star Trek, Marino doesn’t use this word)? People live on different sectioned levels. At first I imagines something like the beginnings of The Fifth Element (the movie)… where there are hover cars and tall buildings. But then there are walk ways…. and then there are pastures on/in building. At one point I had to stop reading and digest what I just read and had a mini debate on what Marino was trying to tell me. Then there’s the bottom… you know the earth, very bottom…and beyond. Nothing describes what happened here. There was one scene where Mistletoe questions (with sarcasm) the fact that Ambrose has never been to THE bottom. Yes, he’s been to the bottom floor of his high society but the actual bottom of the building they live in. Supposedly these building reach past the clouds. They surpass the skyscrapers of todays world. They must be massive. One whole city turned into a giant skyscraper (this thought just occurred to me as I typed this review)… and if it was so then it would make much more sense, but this idea (of a city being built into one gigantic skyscraper) was never said in the novel.

The plot. It was the driving force of the story. Unfortunately, near the end it become so confusing and mixed I didn’t quite understand what I was going through anymore. I had to sit back and think about the most logical point and go from there. By the end, if you’re like me, you’ll wonder what part was reality and what parts were Unison’s (the social network world) world, or whether the real world has yet to be introduced at all. I’m betting those who enjoyed the book immensely enjoyed Ambrose and Mistletoe’s general storyline. They have to save the world(s). That point came across easily enough. But then throw in a virtual world and then some other world and then the possibility of dreams and then the real world and then the maybe real world?… and then the world outside of the dream of the dream world… mix all that together and what do we get? You get my point? It get’s confusing. O.o…. > . < …. ?(o.O)? X.X …. yes that was a simplistic emotes to describe what I thought the plot (the story under the general storyline of “save the world(s)”) was like.

Overall, this was an ambitious novel. The general idea and storyline was easy to understand, but the intimate story – what makes this book uniquely this book – came off confusing and scattered.

Verdict: Library check out.

Visit my book review blog at ravenousbiblioworm.wordpress.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unison Spark.