Marty's Reviews > A Song of Ice and Fire

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

Apr 27, 2012

liked it

Dear George R.R. Martin (if that's your real name),

It is known: You are one sick, sick mofo. With "A Song of Ice and Fire," you have fleshed out and made explicit everything that was probably happening behind the scenes in "Lord of the Rings," the night being dark and full of terrors and all. The things that tweedy, Norse epic poem-lovin' J.R.R. Tolkien probably didn't even think about. The things that probably DID get written about in the early days of BBS slash fiction. Which you yourself were probably writing.

Gotta hand it to you, though, you provide us with badass female characters, an area where Tolkien failed epically, Éowyn excepted. You have rendered a universe of moral ambiguity and shades of grey (and yes, I must use the Anglophilic spelling) rather than Tolkien's black-and-white, good-v-evil Middle Earth. You have no qualms about killing off beloved characters, though you do have a bad habit of resurrecting them as intelligent, ruthless zombies.

I thank you for writing chapters from significant characters' points of view, because they instantly become sympathetic and interesting rather than being lost in the horde. I look forward to the next installment. Will you PLEASE tell us what happened to Rickon? He hasn't been around for several volumes now. And Nymeria must be out there somewhere, too.

So long, and thanks for all the catchphrases,

A reader

P.S. By R'hllor/the Stranger/the Seven/the Old Gods, would someone PLEASE just give Lady Stoneheart copies of "A Clash of Kings," "A Storm of Swords," "A Feast for Crows," and "A Dance with Dragons"? She could focus her vengeance on the right parties if she would just kick back and do some reading instead of relying on ravens and spies to bring her outdated news.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Song of Ice and Fire.

message 1: by Katy (new)

Katy I consider these books my high quality chili cheese fries. They are well made but leave me worrying about my waste line after I wolf them down with the speed of a binge eater...

Marty "A Song of Ice and Fire" = my buffalo wings and bleu cheese with waffle fries.

message 3: by Katy (new)