Beth Bedee's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

May 21, 12

bookshelves: 20th-century, audio, historical-fiction
Read from April 27 to May 04, 2012

This was an o.k. book It wasn't mind blowing, but I wanted to finish it. Essentially, it's a study of human nature and reactions to tragedies.

A luxury cruise ship sinks in 1914 on its way from London to New York. A group of 39 survivors are stranded on a lifeboat which is at capacity for 21 days. After several frustrating days, they begin turning on one another. What follows is s version of Lord of the Flies, but in tight quarters on a boat. When the survivors (what's left of them) are finally rescued, some are put on trial for the atrocities committed on the boat.

It's unique in that the action primarily takes place on a small boat. There are several flashbacks along the way. The writing was very good. I appreciated that the language was appropriate for 1914. The book could certainly be studied in a literature class or book club for its themes. However, I didn't find it to be the page turner that others did. I wanted to know the end, so I kept reading. But, I still had some questions when I finished it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rita (new)

Rita Hello again, Beth. I just got this recommendation from Kobo and came here to check it out...of course, you beat me to it! So glad you did because I think I will pass on it now. Lisa nalepa only gave it 3 stars, as well. If I didn't have so many other books to read, I might consider it, but why waste my time on something " okay" when I could be reading something great? Thanks, Beth....glad we have similar tastes!