Melisa Adisti's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Apr 27, 2012

Read from March 21 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

“So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.”

That was my favourite line from Looking for Alaska.

What a book!

I enjoyed the book greatly, so much that I finished reading it in just a few days. The “Before” was a great story of the wall-flower boy meeting the beautiful girl. It was beautiful, it was quirky, it was great. I was devastated when I reached the "After" part. So much so that I didn’t want to continue reading while flailing and crying on the bed cursing the author. I was affected. Something happened that had never happened to me before. I couldn’t read anymore of the book for over a week. I went into a state of mourning. A mourning for a fictional character. Who i never met, yet i cared for, just like Pudge. But I stuck it through, and it was such a great ending I didn't realise that I was crying and then I started to laugh. It was an amazing feeling of liberation and relief.

The book was great and I thoroughly encourage anyone to try and read a copy, you will enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Quotes Melisa Liked

John Green
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.”

John Green
“When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.”

John Green
“What is an "instant" death anyway? How long is an instant? Is it one second? Ten? The pain of those seconds must have been awful as her heart burst and her lungs collapsed and there was no air and no blood to her brain and only raw panic. What the hell is instant? Nothing is instant. Instant rice takes five minutes, instant pudding an hour. I doubt that an instant of blinding pain feels particularly instantaneous.”

John Green
“Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia. (...) You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you'll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.”

John Green
“When I look at my room, I see a girl who loves books.”