Jess Scott's Reviews > Echoes of Red: Scifaiku

Echoes of Red by Sheryl Nantus

Apr 27, 2012

Precise Scifaiku

One of the reasons I enjoy reading haiku is the sense of clarity and precision it contains.

Ms. Nantus writes in the introduction of ECHOES OF RED that she has a "love of all things sci-fi," having grown up watching Star Trek on her mother's knee and viewing Star Wars the first weekend it was released.

She writes that if her poetry "brings a smile to [the reader's] face," she's accomplished her mission. I'm happy to report that she did manage to "accomplish her mission" in my experience of reading her scifaiku, which really show an understanding of the introspective and humanitarian vein that good science fiction always contains (questions and situations which make us ponder on life, where we're headed, so on and so forth).

While ECHOES OF RED is a short compilation, I personally very much favour quality > quantity, and am glad to have had the opportunity to peruse Ms. Nantus' poetry, an experience which was nothing short of pleasant. The compilation is a great introduction to Ms. Nantus' approach to other literary forms too (besides poetry)!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echoes of Red.