KP's Reviews > Isabella: Girl on the Go

Isabella by Jennifer Fosberry

Apr 27, 12

Isabella: Girl on the Go is a picture book by Jennifer Fosberry. The illustrations are done by Mike Litwin. Published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, this book left me feeling a bit conflicted. While I loved the premise and idea behind the story, I also felt each page ended a bit abruptly. I wish Fosberry had put just a bit more into the dialogue between Isabella and her father. Isabella is a rambunctious little girl with a grand imagination. Each page takes the reader on a new journey to a new place as Isabella decides a new persona to take on. From an archeologist to the Statue of Liberty, Isabella takes the reader around the world using her imagination and her own backyard. Parents will be able to discuss a variety of lociations and specific structures at each with their children. Fosberry even provides a guide at the back of the book to help discussion between parents and their child farther. I really liked this addition of the book and the fact that the author did not shy away from using large words in her story.

I was bothered by the fact that the dad was called “the father” instead of her father throughout the story, though. It made what should have been a beautiful relationship between daughter and father seem a bit impersonal. And on all other accounts, the relationship was beautiful. The father was doting and loving. Ultimately, Isabella decides home is the best place to be. This book is a perfect book for a little adventurer in your life. Children will be drawn to the soft yet vibrant illustrations as well as the locations the story takes you to. Despite my conflicted feelings, I know children would see past these details and fall in love with Isabella. I give it 4 out of 5 books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Isabella.