Yzobelle's Reviews > The Prisoner of Heaven

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: to-read-again
Recommended for: anyone who wants an amazing reading experience
Read from August 06 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy

Another masterpiece of the great Zafon! Definitely a gold mine! A book that is too great to be ever considered to put to rest at the Cemetery of Forgotten Books!

It is not going to be easy to write a review of any of Zafon's books. As I have done so with The Shadow of the Wind, The Angel's Game, and The Prince of Mist, I can only write about the impact these books have made on me.

Truly a page turner, from the front cover to the very last page, The Prisoner of Heaven, didn't allow me to separate from it, not even in the bathroom. Extremely gripping, absolutely absorbing! Full of twists and turns that managed not to make me get lost. Up to the very last page, Zafon gives a twist that really made my jaw drop! ... Read this book and I bet, you would have the same jaw-dropping experience at the end!

When I grabbed a copy of this book, I thought that it is the last of what seemed to be a trilogy. But that last page gave me quite a strong gut feel that another book will follow soon. Or perhaps, I just wish there would be! (There's got to be!) I was so compelled to give Mr. Zafon a ring and find out the answer to the question he left all his readers with. If it were any other book, I would have been soooo annoyed to be left hanging in the air, after the last page at that! But knowing how wise this author is, I am just quite sure that there is yet another story underlying this new twist. ...

But i can't help it. I just have to find out. Please hear me ... Don Carlos Ruiz Zafón, for the love of Daniel and Fermin and Isabella, is the evil Mauricio Valls still around? Is he now in the person of David Martin? Will he continue to haunt Daniel? When will he ever leave Daniel and Fermin in peace? ... please Mr. Zafon. Have mercy on Fermin. Give him the chance to have a peaceful and happy marriage with Bernarda. And let Julian and Bea enjoy quality family life with Daniel.

This is how greatly affected I am with Zafon's books! I am quite sure anybody else who decides to read his books would be this affected too. C'mon, I encourage you all to do so! You wont regret it. I bet my bottom dollar! For those who haven't read his previous books, I suggest you start with The Shadow of the Wind, then The Angel's Game, then The Prisoner of Heaven. You'd appreciate more the string of stories if you read them in that order.

Zafon is such a genius in giving his readers an intertwining experience of emotions. He can make your mind work like a detective, make your heart melt with sympathy, make your fists curl with anger, make your stomach knot in suspense, and definitely make your lungs laugh out loud with the wit and humor that marks almost every page!

After reading the trilogy, I am urged to reread them and recreate the timeline of events. Simply amazing! Don Carlos, how do you do it? How do you sustain all these stories? Or by any chance, are you Daniel Sempere himself? Or perhaps Julian?

... Now, I have to get back to work. But rest assured, I am now more than ever ready to come back to reality and fight for what is worthwhile, a great lesson that Fermin -- who was first introduced to us as the vagabond in the streets of Barcelona -- taught me with his life story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prisoner of Heaven.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Yzobelle Thanks Jzhun! Really a fantastic book!

krym and so my next read will be Angel's Game... :) then lend me this book before it's....

Yzobelle Yup! You must read na Angel's Game! C'mon! :)

Yzobelle Thanks Heather! I hope you like his books too.

message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue Just wondering - our bookclub chose this book to read - and the other members have not read his previous 2 (TSOTW or Angles Game) - will they be able to follow it okay? I read TSOTW, but not Angle's Game - will I be lost without having not read his 2nd? Thanks for your help/advice!

Yzobelle Sue wrote: "Just wondering - our bookclub chose this book to read - and the other members have not read his previous 2 (TSOTW or Angles Game) - will they be able to follow it okay? I read TSOTW, but not Angle'..."

Hi Sue! I would say that The Prisoner of Heaven is best read after reading the first two books. The whole string of stories and details will be more appreciated. The discussion will also be much richer. ... Even having read the first two books, it can still be read independently without getting lost but the beauty of it will be watered down. ... Maybe the book club's read for the period can be The Shadow of the Wind first. Besides, it is the best of the three. Thank you! Happy reading!