Margaret's Reviews > Little House on the Prairie

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Sep 04, 2008

Read in September, 2008

Laura’s family decides to go west because the area in which they live in Minnesota in the big woods is getting too populated and scaring the game away. So they pack up all of their belongings and leave their little house and go toward the prairie land. They find a piece of land in the prairie and start over. They encounter trials and joys along the way. They make some neighbor friends who live several miles away. They are in Indian Territory and deal with nice Indians and the not-so-nice Indians.

What I love most about this book is the family’s ability to make a home of love wherever they may be. Whether it is traveling in their covered wagon to find a home or camping out next to the plot of land where they are going to build their house, their life always seems so cozy and filled with love. Laura’s parents are very gentle people. I also love hearing about the simple joys in Laura’s life. Like when she found colorful beads in a deserted Indian camp or how exciting it was to receive a cup, a candy cane and cookie from Santa Clause. She was so grateful for these simple things and it makes me wish that we lived in a simpler time and where didn’t have to have so much “stuff.”
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little House on the Prairie.