Bonnie Gayle's Reviews > The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape From The Tower Of London

The Ravenmaster's Secret by Elvira Woodruff

Sep 25, 08

bookshelves: historical-fiction, library-books, reviewed
Read in September, 2008

Forrest is the son of a guard and raven keeper at the Tower of London in 1735, and he's rarely ventured out into the city. His friends are a raven named Tuck, and a boy nicknamed Rat, so named because he is a rat catcher due to his small size. Forrest does not feel that he is very brave, since older boys tease him and call him names.

Suddenly a new prisoner comes, a Scottish girl his age, wanted for treason, but Forrest can't believe that she is as evil as everyone is saying.

Things take a turn for the worst when Rat is forced to become a chimney sweep, a job that will kill you quickly (apparently Burt from Mary Poppins lied), and the Scottish prisoner gets sentenced to hang.

Forrest hopes that he can help them both, but how can that be possible for a boy who isn't very brave?

This was a well written and interesting story. I did find a few things confusing though. For example, why is his father guarding prisoners if he's the Raven keeper, and there seems to be a distinction between the 2 jobs? Also, I wasn't fond of the ending. Things just fall together too perfectly, the type of ending that only happens because it works the author out of any tight spots so well, the type of ending that would never happen in real life. Overll, though, I really enjoyed it. The mood was palpable. I could almost feel the fog and tension. Also Forrest is the type of character that you root for from the first page to the last. This is a good book for someone of any age, and I think boys would especially enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ravenmaster's Secret.