Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer's Reviews > Tricked

Tricked by Kevin Hearne

Jun 02, 13

bookshelves: favorite-author, paranormal, urban-myth

I want to rave about this book, actually I want to rave about the entire series! The Iron Druid Chronicles fulfill all my desires when it comes to funny, irreverent, cross-mythos action. Hearne has a deft touch with words & paints vivid images with them.

There is a thematic thread of the relationship between an immortal druid, Atticus & his dog, Oberon that allows all the secret snark in the world an appropriate vent. Atticus' relationships with various pantheons is believable & respectful (for the most part).

He is the last druid in the world and he must decide how to handle Norse demon/zombies, lustful gods, vampires, werewolves, Polish witches and Coyote, as well as the elemental spirits of the earth & air. His interactions with Sonora (spirit of the desert) are inspiring.

Add in his 'new age' herbal, occult, bookshop and his favorite bar Bula Bula and you have a recipe for delight. Oh, did I mention Oberon's worship of bacon? Or Oberon's delight in standard poodles (he is an Irish Wolfhound after all). Then there is his relationship with his patroness, the Morrigan & the rest of the Danu.

Read these books!!! Prepare yourself with a box of tissues as you WILL laugh until you cry, a good beer (as you will be inspired to drink one) & know that you will find yourself searching Wikipedia to learn about the gods you will be introduced to. I love an author who knows how to do his research!! No made up mythos' Hearne went to the trouble to find the appropriate gods to fit his specifications.. btw did I mention he is an English teacher & a lover of libraries??

Read these books, enjoy the action rush & laugh & laugh & laugh..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tricked.