Nicki's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

May 07, 12

Read from May 01 to 07, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Nicki Liked

Veronica Roth
“Human reason can excuse any evil; that is why it's so important that we don't rely on it.”

Veronica Roth
“Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.”

Veronica Roth
“A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.”

Veronica Roth
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

Veronica Roth
“...there is power in self-sacrifice.”

Veronica Roth
“Who cares about pretty? I'm going for noticeable.”

Veronica Roth
“Sometimes, the best way to help someone is just to be near them.”

Veronica Roth
“We could visit him," suggests Will. "But what would we say? 'I didn't know you that well, but I'm sorry you got stabbed in the eye'?”

“Lies require commitment.”
tags: lies

Veronica Roth
“His absence will haunt their hallways, and he will be a space they can't fill. And then time will pass, and the hole will be gone, like when an organ is removed and the body's fluids flow into the space it leaves. Humans can't tolerate emptiness for long.”

Veronica Roth
“There is power in controlling something that can do so much damage - in controlling something, period.”

Veronica Roth
“My problem might be that even if I did go home, I wouldn’t belong there, among people who give without thinking and care without trying.”

Veronica Roth
“If you are really one of us, it won't matter to you that you might fail. And if it does, you are a coward.”

Veronica Roth
“I like to think I'm helping them by hating them. I'm reminding them that they aren't God's gift to humankind.”

Veronica Roth
“Every faction conditions its members to think and act a certain way. And most people do it. For most people, it's not hard to learn, to find a pattern of thought that works and stay that way. But our minds move in a dozen different directions. We can't be confined to one way of thinking, and that terrifies our leaders. It means we can't be controlled. And it means that no matter what they do, we will always cause trouble for them.”

Veronica Roth
“To live factionless Is not just to live in poverty and discomfort; it is to live divorced from society, separated from the most important thing in life: community. My mother once told me that we can’t survive alone,but even if we could, we wouldn’t want to. Without a faction, we have no purpose and no reason to live.”

Veronica Roth
“I never thought I would need bravery in the small moments of my life. I do.”

Veronica Roth
“I feel more like myself. That is all I need: to remember who I am. And I am someone who does not let inconsequential things like boys and near-death experiences stop her.”

Veronica Roth
“My father says that those who want power and get it live in terror of losing it. That's why we have to give power to those who do not want it.”

Veronica Roth
“I would rather be dead than empty”

Veronica Roth
“What good is a prepared body if you have a scattered mind?”

Veronica Roth
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”