Cindy's Reviews > You Are Not a Gadget

F 50x66
Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in March, 2012

Very thought-provoking and enlightening. I have no software knowledge whatever, but I do want my grandchildren (assuming I ever get any!) to live in a world with a vibrant middle class where creativity is nurtured and rewarded, and that is the real topic of this book.

As an English teacher, I was blown away by the quality of the writing in this book. Every chapter is structured logically, so that point builds upon point until the reader reaches a world-view changing epiphany. And the style is so simple and straightforward-- Jaron Lanier is an acknowledged genius and polymath, so he feels no need to give an impression of intelligence by using big words and convoluted sentences. At a recent informal discussion with NMSU students in Jaron's hometown of Las Cruces, New Mexico, he said at one point, rubbing his forehead, "Is this clear? Ask me questions if it doesn't make sense. I want to be communicating!"-- which summarizes his ethos as a writer. He writes conversationally and personally (which you can see on his website), and with a sense of humor(which you can also see on his website!) and hope that helps lighten a potentially heavy topic.

I may add more to this review later on the content of the book, but responsibilities call!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are Not a Gadget.