AH's Reviews > Drain You

Drain You by M. Beth Bloom

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: vamps, young-adult, arc-edelweiss, paranormal, zzread-may-2012, babr-reviews
Read from May 14 to 16, 2012

I enjoy vampire books. I read all kinds. From the sparkly vampires to the ruthless, bloodthirsty ones, vampire books are a guilty pleasure of mine. I was excited to get a review copy of this book and the synopsis seemed intriguing. Unfortunately, this book did not wow me.

I think that Drain You had the potential to be a good book, if not for the main character Quinlan Lacey. Quinlan is a 17 year old girl who spends a lot of time in her underwear or “barely there” clothing. She drinks so much Diet Coke that at one point I thought there was a product placement deal for the book. Quinlan “works” in a video store. Note the use of quotations marks – she doesn’t really work that much when she is at work.

I found myself hating Quinlan. She is self-absorbed, vapid, annoying, and rude.

Quinlan’s parents are idiots. This seems to be a regular theme in young adult books. Her parents are so busy in their own lives to pay any attention to their daughter. On a school night Quinlan leaves the house at 11PM and her father says “…be back whenever.” Huh? Not sure that would be realistic. Quinlan’s disdain for her parents is an ongoing theme. She asks her parents “Are you guys retarded?” Her mother “corrects” her and says, “We are not you guys, we’re mom and dad.” Huh? How does she get away with calling her parents retarded?
The stupidity was not limited to Quinlan’s parents. Quinlan was a little dense when the vampire James tells her he’s not safe. She thinks it’s because he is a heartbreaker. Later when James is covered in blood from his latest meal, Quinlan is concerned that he may be hurt. James’ sister Naomi, completely exasperated with Quinlan’s stupidity screams “He’s not hurt, you idiot, someone else is!”

There were a few other oddities in this book. Quinlan has her life’s “bucket list.” One item on her list was to marry Leonardo DiCaprio. Strange. Why would a 17 year old want to marry a 38 year old man? Justin Bieber, maybe. Leo is old enough to be her father.

Drain You did not work for me because I did not like the main character. Other readers may enjoy this book more than I did.

Thank you to Edelwiess and HarperTeen for a review copy of this book.

Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drain You.

05/14/2012 page 40
10.0% "Don't know if I'll have patience for this one."
05/15/2012 page 32
8.0% "

"You're like an ice cube," he said. "Is it because you are always half naked?"

You caught me on a particularly half naked week."

"
05/15/2012 page 46
12.0% ""Until this moment my life's plans had been: graduate from high school, go to Paris, marry Leonardo DiCaprio, die in my sleep." ??? What high school girl wants to marry Leonardo DiCaprio? He's 38 years old!!"
05/15/2012 page 81
20.0% ""Serial killer? More like an Abercrombie zombie with a charge card and a Mazda RX-7." --Abercrombie zombie - I may have to use that phrase one day."
05/15/2012 page 86
22.0% ""Naomi screamed and beat a fist against the stucco wall behind her. 'He's not hurt, you idiot, someone else is!'" --Naomi - I feel your pain."
05/16/2012 page 124
31.0% ""Some of them even seemed to be glowing slightly. They glew." glew??? I checked my onboard dictionary and glew is not a word. Maybe it was meant to be funny, but a grammar gaffe like that made me cringe." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by MISS VAIN (new)

MISS VAIN Awwwwe sad! I saw this on someone's WoW last night and it sounded good. Lol. Thankfully I didn't waste my time.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH It did have its merits - I got quite a few unintentional laughs from it. And the "glew" comment had my husband rolling on the floor laughing.

I would borrow from the library rather than purchase.

message 3: by MISS VAIN (new)

MISS VAIN Thank you for the warning :) I actually didn't have it on my Tbr list since I barely heard about it, but I won't waste time or money, lol.thanks :)

message 4: by Giselle (new) - added it

Giselle The reviews for this are not making me very excited to get to it. O_O

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Have you seen other reviews? The ones I saw were all gushing and found the book very funny. I tried not to nitpick on the review but I could have said more...just look at my status updates and I was holding back.

message 6: by Giselle (new) - added it

Giselle Really? No all the reviews I saw were about like this one. Maybe I just saw all the negatives O_o

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Hmmm. It had possibilities. Oh well.

Greta is Erikasbuddy ZOMG! Awesome review!! Made me LOL all the way through ;)

And don't you love it when our generation writes books that we put our hotties in there? Like, I've read all these books where 17 year old youngins want to marry Jared Letto and I asked my son if he knew what "My So Called Life" was and he had no idea. So, I made him go ask the neighbor girl and she didn't have a clue.

But Leo? LMAO!!! No..... He's almost old enough to be her Dad. Maybe that Liam DUde ... THor's brother that's gonna marry Miley Cyrus? He'd be a good candidate.

ANd woah!! Video stores still exist? I thought Redbox killed them ;)

Hmmm... and my Mom and Dad would not "whatev" me if I wanted to leave the house at 11pm on a weekend or a weekday. My mom once called the cops on me because I got home around midnight. Crazy!

But most awsome review!!! I loved reading it!!

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Thanks, Greta. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you look at some of my status updates? I asked a few kids if they could get away with calling their parents retarded or leaving the house at 11PM on a school night. They said no.

The Leonardo thing was odd. You'd think an editor would catch that one and substitute someone close to a 17 year old's age like Taylor Lautner, Alex Pettyfer, the boys from the boy band that my friend's girls love (can't remember the name...) etc.

message 10: by Lyndsey (last edited Jun 18, 2012 08:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyndsey Hey AH - Wasn't she obsessed with James Spader in this book? That led me to believe this was set in the 90s. Though the date is never confirmed in the book. There's no mention of cell phones or Internet if I'm remembering right. Also, the videos were always just called movies or videos, not DVDs or anything. I think? To be honest, this book didn't hold my attention too well.

Greta is Erikasbuddy I wouldn't ever let Mickey get away with calling me retarded. He can call me a dork but that's about it. And no way! I'd have him strung up if he left the house at 11pm.

Is the band "BIG TIME RUSH"? I think they're pretty big.

Oh, and then there is that english band that was on SNL a while back. They wore tight colored pants and danced around. I don't know the name of them.

But Tay Tay is always good ;)

message 12: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Lyndsey wrote: "Hey AH - Wasn't she obsessed with James Spader in this book? That led me to believe this was set in the 90s. Though the date is never confirmed in the book. There's no mention of cell phones or Int..."

I don't remember any mention of James Spader. Just checked - there are 4 mentions of James Spader as an 80's movies villain. I just thought it was because all she did was watch old movies. The setting time frame was not too clear.

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Greta, nope that wasn't the name. The teenage girls here are crazy for this boy band and I can't remember the name....

Greta is Erikasbuddy OH! I remember their name! (from SNL) One Direction -- is that them?

message 15: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Yup, it was one direction.

Greta is Erikasbuddy sweet sweet!! Yup! They'd be better for 17 year old girls to swoon over than Leo D

Heather Wood I'm reading it now and I couldn't agree more with your review! I was also completely confused over the time frame due to all of the 90s pop culture references

message 18: by AH (new) - rated it 2 stars

AH Thanks, Heather. The time frame didn't bother me as much as the main character's attitude. It just didn't sit well with me.