Sheila DeChantal's Reviews > Dance Upon the Air

Dance Upon the Air by Nora Roberts

Apr 27, 12

Read in April, 2012

Nell Channing finally did what was long over due. She found a way to escape her abusive marriage. Feeling free for the first time since she can remember, she changes her look, and finds herself stepping off a ferry on to a quaint place called Three Sisters Island. Nell was drawn to the stories around the island, the folklore that said the island was created by ancient witches in 1692 and still to this day carried the magic of years gone by.

Nell felt like she had found a home in this touristy island, and quickly secured a job at the local Book Store, Cafe Books, owned by the mysterious, Mia Devlin. Mia had many island rumors circling around herself as well.. she owned the beautiful house on the cliff that could be seen from the ferry and was believed to have powers handed down from the generations of powerful women of the island before her.

And then there is Ripley, sister to the handsome sheriff, Zak. Ripley, as Mia knows, is the second of the"three sisters" on the island that still carry magical powers, yet as much as Mia embraces her powers, Ripley rejects them, hates that this is a gift handed down to her from the island, and does everything she can to deny it.

But Mia, and with her pulse on the island itself is well aware of the power the island has given her. She is also well aware that the island is called Three Sisters Island, and to complete the circle, there is to be a third. Mia has a strong feeling the third part of the sisterhood just came to the island in the form of a small woman who is currently in her employment and seems to be running from something. And that something, seems to be coming towards the island like a dark cloud that Mia can see and feel clearly, and she knows it will take the power of three to ensure the survival of all involved.

Two things are true: 1. This is not your typical Nora Roberts book. 2. This is one on my all time favorite reads.

I first read Dance Upon The Air in August of 2001. I know this for a fact because it was the first book our book club read together and because the book touched me so much that it graces my book shelf in triplicate, so I can always have a spare to give out to someone.

I LOVE books that have to do with strong, independent women, and if these women have powers... all the better. Dance Upon The Air covers all this well, I often refer to this book as paranormal, before paranormal was cool.

There is so much I love about this book and the two that follow it, Heaven and Earth, and then Face The Fire - all written in typical Nora Roberts fashion with her trilogies, each book features one of the three women. All equally awesome - which is rare in trilogies.

I have wanted to read this one again for a long time, but as book lovers know - its hard to get back to the ones you have read before when so many awesome reads are waiting to still be read...

I think I have found the secret to the re-read, try it in a different format. In this case, I listened to this book on audio and I am so over the top thrilled that I did. It is narrated beautifully by Sandra Burr and I cant even tell you how relieved I was that this older read was delightful as well in audio.

Do yourself a favor and give this book (or audio) a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised and this is definitely a do not judge a book by its author. (and yes, watch this weekend for a post on that!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance Upon the Air.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Linda Rae First, a disclaimer. I am an unabashed Roberts fan. Her romances are well written and give you a lovely escape from real life. Her mysteries are well written and keep you glued to the pages. This series, Three Sisters, is one of my all-time favs! Three strong, magical women and, please tell me who can resist, a silkie! Roberts makes you want to take off your clothes and dance in the moonlight.

Sheila DeChantal Linda wrote: "First, a disclaimer. I am an unabashed Roberts fan. Her romances are well written and give you a lovely escape from real life. Her mysteries are well written and keep you glued to the pages. This s..."

Love your comment! I had to laugh!

Linda Rae I'm an author myself, Sheila. Roberts is the Goddess is my little world. Evanovich, Jackson, Brown--goes without saying Nora's JD Robb. I don't write magic, but Roberts sure does. I stick to romance/mystery and leave the magic to those who can do it justice--and she sure did in this series. Glad you enjoyed the comment. Come visit me on my website, if you have time for a look. http://lindaraeblairauthor.wordpress.... Would love to have your company!

Sheila DeChantal Linda wrote: "I'm an author myself, Sheila. Roberts is the Goddess is my little world. Evanovich, Jackson, Brown--goes without saying Nora's JD Robb. I don't write magic, but Roberts sure does. I stick to romanc..."

Thanks for the invite Linda... I think I will :)