Kyle's Reviews > Hyperion

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

May 16, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, sword-and-laser, 2012
Read from April 27 to May 16, 2012

I would have given this a 3.5, but alas, like Netflix, Goodreads does not allow for half stars. So it leaned more towards the upper end of the 3 to 4 spectrum, hence the 4.

I'm not going to lie, it took quite a bit of will power to get through this book. This was my first sci-fi novel that wasn't Fahrenheit 451 or anything from the Animorphs series, so it took a little time to get used to some of the terminology and science in the universe that Simmons created. But I persevered and liked the book quite a bit.

I thought the world, well universe building in the the book was exceptional. I loved the split narrative style of the book. The uniqueness of each character's story was a very neat way to get to experience this universe. I definitely cared much more for some stories over others. I particularly enjoyed the stories of Sol Weintraub and Father Hoyt.

I found the ending cliffhanger to be a tad bit upsetting. The whole book was spent setting up each of these characters and explaining why each of them were on this pilgrimage, that I wanted some sort of payoff after all of that. But I know the book and The Fall of Hyperion were supposed to be one book, so I can't fault it for that. I'll be checking out The Fall of Hyperion after I get through a few more books I've been meaning to get through.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hyperion.

Steven Great choice. This is one of my favorite books. :)

Kyle Glad to hear it! I started following this online book club that reads a bunch of fantasy and sci-fi novels, and this was their book for May. I'm enjoying it so far.