Lisa's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Apr 27, 12

Read in April, 2012

I had such high hopes for this book as it sounded like such a good plot for a story. This book is about 39 people adrift in the ocean in a lifeboat after a mysterious explosion on their ocean liner (think sinking of the Titanic). Grace Winter, newly wedded and now a widow, is one of those on a tiny lifeboat not fit for 39 people. How do 39 people survive together with different points of view, little water and even less food?

This was really difficult for me to get through, but I plowed my way through it. Why didn't I like it? I'm not sure. I would have thought I would have loved a book such as this. The writer wrote it as a first person narrative, but Grace was very passive and the thoughts that poured through her head were not what I wanted to read or expected to read. It seemed to just go on and on and on. Not much "action" but lots on thoughts of Grace.

Would I recommend this to you? It depends on what you like. If you like books that don't develop the characters very much but discuss ethics, morals, thoughts of the times, go ahead and read it. Me? I wouldn't read it as there are just too many good books out there and so little time!!
71 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.

message 1: by kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

kim This pretty much sums up how I felt after reading this one. I'll be adding my review soon.

Linda I completely agree with your review! I also plowed my way through this one so I could get on to my next read.

Annie Sums up my feelings about this one too.

message 4: by Nicoladuffy (new)

Nicoladuffy Plowing as we spak

message 5: by John (new)

John The answer is that 39 don't survive. But Grace does. She was always going to. By carefully ingratiating herself with those she sees might be helpful to her, by never showing her true feelings, by manipulating every situation and turning it to her advantage, she not only survives but prospers. The whole book is a metaphor - it's actually a handbook on how to use people and win.

Lisa I totally agree with John. I wish I could have worded it like he did, because that is exactly the way it was.

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne Simonot Well, this review sums up quite nicely how I felt about this book. Slim but took me forever to plow through it!

Lisa Potts I am so amazed at some of these negative reviews, I guess there are so many different people and readers in the world. I loved this book and found there to be a lot of action, so I don't know what everyone is talking about. This book was so well written and so beautifully drawn, sometimes I would read passages again, just for the fantastic, beautiful writing - simply lushious. Anyway, if you think a book has no action, please read Carry The One, the book I read right before this one (The Lifeboat), there is very little action in that story, but it too was very well written, but not really half as good as this one. Please readers give this book a chance, it has so many things to like in it, I was truly mesmerized and astounded, and could not put it down.

Elizabeth Sulzby It is the lack of character clarity and development of Grace in a situation where a deeper character would have captured the reader more fully. It is a beautifully written book but I agree with Lisa Christen's review about its lack. I do however look forward to more from this author.

Sheila Elzey I agree completely!! Couldn't figure out why I struggled to get thru it.

Colleen great review. It was spot on!

Elizabeth Sulzby Now I want to go back to Goodreads and see whether the ratings there are inflated!

Elizabeth Sulzby My own review parallels Lisa's, although with different aspects that I found troublesome. I just read a note about the author that said she had family members who were sailors/boat owners but that she based this story in part on an account in an old law book. That gives me a sense of the motivation of the author to make the main character so ambiguous--it still doesn't satisfy me, but it suggests why an author who can write such beautiful sentences would nevertheless create such shallow characters.