Kristal's Reviews > Spellbound

Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Apr 27, 2012

Read from April 24 to 26, 2012

Now that I read the description again, I really started out with this book expecting more fantasy. It is the curse and the past lives that drew me in and although we do see some I just wish there had been more of that.

"Spellbound" by Cara Lynn Shultz is a story about a young girl named Emma who just recently moved to New York to live with her prominent aunt after her mother died and left her with her stepfather. The story really takes place after Emma has moved and has just been enrolled in her new prep school (complete with plaid uniform skirts) Vincent Academy – or Vince A for short. It is there that she meets the gorgeous Brendan Salinger who she just can’t keep her eyes off of.

Brendan Salinger I have to say got a great deal. He is good looking, mega-rich (we are talking billionaire here) and one of the most charming guys in the world. He has broken the hearts of many-a-girl at Vince A. However, all of his prominence and luck may have cost his one-true love her life. Time after time. But, he is certainly drool-worthy and shining-armour worthy.

Emma Conner is a strong female character, which is always nice to see in young adult books. She doesn’t take crap from people if she can help it (aside for some bullying from girls... girls are so mean!). She stands up for what she believes in and protects the people who are closest to her – like her innocent younger cousin Ashley who just started high school. She also takes the entire magical and paranormal phenomenon in her life in stride. She doesn’t instantly believe it and is skeptical but open, which truly showed how mature her character was.

I really enjoyed the villain in this story. The villain (who shall remain anonymous for this review) is strangely believable for a fantasy story – which is a common theme throughout the book. Even though there is all of this curse and past-life drama surrounding Emma it never seems to really get in the way of normal life which is refreshing to say the least. In fact, I think that because everything else in her life is normal it makes the book that much more suspenseful because it doesn’t follow the same scheme as its predecessors. This makes the book harder to pinpoint and leaves a little bit of mystery for more experienced readers.

"Spellbound" was a great read, despite not giving me a closer look at more past lives of Emma and Brendan like I would have wanted. It was good enough for me to continue the series and read the next installment "Spellcaster".

I give Spellbound 4 Stars.

-Kristal@Owl Read It

Spellcaster

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spellbound.