Pamela's Reviews > Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Apr 27, 12

Read from April 22 to 27, 2012

This was one of the best reads I've had in quite a while. I've previously read bits and pieces of it, but this time I read it straight through from beginning to end.

Wow!

If you think you know the story of Dracula but haven't read the book, then you don't know nothing. And if your name is Coppola, then you know even less than nothing.

There were only two female characters, Lucy and Mina. Lucy was little more than that pukingly sweet bit of empty-headed fluff that serves no purpose other than to rally the other characters to her aid because she's....just...so...sweet.

Mina was something altogether different and not at all like most female characters of the time. Not only was she strong-willed, she was very intelligent and anything but passive. As a matter of fact, throughout the book, you had the feeling that Mina was stronger than her husband, Jonathan. In many ways, she was also a much better drawn character than Jonathan (or any of the other vampire-hunting gang.)

To me, this is the most disappointing aspect of all the Dracula movies--especially Coppola's version. They tend to show Mina as weak and succumbing to Dracula's charms. No way did this happen in the book. No. Way. Mina was not weak and Dracula was anything but charming.

Neither did Mina have anything in common with Twilight's Belle. Mina was not one to sit around and pine for anything or anyone.

One other characteristic that made her even more realistic and likeable was that she was perfectly aware that she was not as physically strong as the men--that rather than help, her presence would be a hinderance in their battles. She left the heavy lifting to them and instead helped Van Helsing figure out what their next move should be.

I mean come on! She memorized all the train timetables around Dracula's area just in case they needed them. Gotta love that kind of preparedness!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.