Amanda's Reviews > Rin Tin Tin: The Life And The Legend

Rin Tin Tin by Susan Orlean

May 21, 12

Read from April 27 to May 18, 2012

Ya'll knew this read would happen.

Of course I loved this book. I have a GSD, I love the breed. I spent much of the book swollen with pride for my dog. I loved it so much I know call Klaus (my GSD) "Rinty" when he's acting like a prima donna. Which is often because he's so spoiled. This book had a great mix of the story of the Rin Tin Tin line and other bits about dogs. Dogs of war, how GSDs were bread, the side stories of some of the main characters, and dogs in Hollywood. Husband and I read the book at the same time and we had an awesome time talking about every little bit and sidetrack. From pondering why/how Rinty ended up in Paris-and how cool it would be to see the pet cemetery there, to how Orlean mis-pronounced common GSD names of Rinty's time-my 1st choice name for Klaus was Greif (pronounce the i not the e), which I think Orlean pronounced as grief in the book, to how the crazy breeder who carries on the Rin Tin Tin line seems just like the breeder we worked with to adopt Klaus. Crazy like a fox. With the limited information about Rin Tin Tin because so many of the folks who were involved with Rinty are now passed, I think Orlean did some great work and told a great story. Of course we wish we knew the answers to the many many unanswered questions, but I liked how Orlean often turned those into more questions and bigger thoughts and then transitioned wonderfully to the next bit of the story. I also liked hearing Orlean's voice, it's perfectly droll and addicting.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rin Tin Tin.