Res's Reviews > Winterling

Winterling by Sarah Prineas

May 09, 12

bookshelves: sff
Read from April 27 to May 09, 2012

** spoiler alert ** The one where Fer accidentally opens a passage into a realm of magic and discovers it's in big trouble already.

This is a kind of cool thing that I've never seen before: a reverse changeling story. Fer is raised among humans, not knowing she's a daughter of magic.

I enjoyed the parts of this book that took place after Fer went through the Way, though everything that happened seemed to be a little shorter than I expected it to be and a little easier than I expected it to be. I liked the characters and their magical maladies.

But I had a lot of trouble reconciling the Fer who had no friends and was in trouble for fighting with the Fer who risked her grandmother's disapproval to help an injured stranger. The girl we saw on the other side of the Way seemed to make friends without even trying -- even when she was trying not to. I realize the author is doing this on purpose because Fer is only really at home on that side, but because we never actually saw her on this side anywhere but in her grandmother's kitchen, I never really bought who she was supposed to be over here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winterling.

05/07/2012 page 140
55.0% "I'd like to see a book in which the healer is a villain ... just to see whether it could be done."