Victoria's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Jul 07, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy-scifi, fluffy-romance
Read in April, 2012

Honestly, I didn't expect much from this book. I read it because it was the additional recommendation from Felicia Day for the Vaginal Fantasy reading group. That said, I was pleasantly surprised by how fun this book was. The writing was really very good and the plot quite fun. I felt it did not go particularly over the top, even thought Carriger is juggling lots of genres (supernatural romance, steampunk, mystery) that often do. I liked the obsession with clothes, tea, food, reading, and intellectual discussion in this book. All were pleasantly there but not pushed so hard that it felt like a gimmick.

Only a few elements of the story bothered me. For the books to be called the Parasol Protectorate series, the parasol is surprisingly absent from the story, apart from the protagonist's constant wishes it were there when it isn't. That part was a bit too hokey. Secondly, the cover is genuinely terrible. I will admit, also, that I liked how this one ended so well that I will likely not read further into the series. I feel it can only get ridiculous from this point.

Still, for a quick, fun read, this certainly fit the bill.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.