Laurie Hanan's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Apr 27, 12

Read in April, 2012

I read this book for my book club. I probably never would have picked it up otherwise, because I general don't enjoy biographies or war stories. I'm grateful that I did read it. The story is horrifying and well as inspiring. The reader is taken to the depths of human depravity, made worse because this is not fiction, but fact. It also takes us to the furthest reaches of human resilience as displayed by Louis Zamperini.

While the first hundred pages did not grab my attention, they laid the necessary groundwork for the heart of the story. As a boy, Louie was a hard headed scoundrel who later channeled his energies into running. He became a world renowned track star, and even shook hands with Hitler at the Berlin Olympics. When the U.S. got involved in the World War, Louie signed on and became a bombardier. When his plane went down due to mechanical failure, he was one of only three survivors. Louie's hard headed determination enabled him to survive on a rubber raft at sea longer than anyone on record, only to be captured and imprisoned by the Japanese. What he suffered at their hands made for some hard reading.

The book was well researched, the story well told. I think anyone who decides to give it a try will be well rewarded.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.