May's Reviews > Going Bovine

May 07, 12

bookshelves: depressing-and-epic
Read in January, 2012

So fucking perfect.
I hate turning the last page. :(
Going Bovine was like a drunken teenager. Crazy, reckless, fun, shockingly poignant and above all, undeniably unreliable.
Cameron is a slacker/stoner. I loved his character. I could relate to it a lot. He was like Holden Caulfield. Cameron basically doesn’t like anything. At all. His parents live a dull life. His dad is possibly cheating on his mom. His sister is a pod person. (Read: Cheerleader) who is dating the quarterback or something like that. His best memory is when he almost died at Disneyland when he was 5 years. He loves listening to this lame Portuguese singer, just to be ironic. He sometimes hangs out in the stoner bathroom having eloquent and sensible conversation about Schrödinger's cat* and such. I’d give an inch of my hair to go to that bathroom. It sounds like a glorious place. But never mind, this is just the start of the book and it gets better.
Cameron gets Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, which is simply mad cow disease in a human. And hence, the cover. It's genius really. Symptoms of this disease: Hallucinations, muscle twitching.
The rest of the book Cameron is either lying on a hospital bed or on a psychedelic road trip with a paranoid dwarf who loves to swear, a punk angel, and a yard gnome who claims to be a Norse God, or possibly both. The road trip is eccentric, they run into a jazz musician who is supposed to be dead, mardi gras folks, dumb reality-TV obsessed teens, CHURCH OF EVERLASTING SATISFACTION AND SNACK-’N’-BOWL, physicists on the quest to enter parallel universe and much more.
This book is very surreal, very very funny, very Alice in Wonderland meets On The Road meets Don Quixote. And mostly, it begs the question, what exactly defines reality. Till the box is opened is Schrodinger’s cat dead or alive or both?

Similar books: Paper Towns By John Green.
Other road trip related books on my reading list: Road trip books.
View whole post on blog: O.ops I Read That Book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Bovine.

Quotes May Liked

Libba Bray
“I don't think you should die until you're ready. Until you've wrung out every last bit of living you can.”

Libba Bray
“Dude, this is a stoner conversation and we're not even high”
tags: humor

Libba Bray
“We've left the moment. It's gone. We're somewhere else now, and that's okay. We've still got that moment with us somewhere, deep in our memory, seeping into our DNA. And when our cells get scattered , whenever that happens, this moment will still exist in them. Those cells might be the building block of something new. A planet or star or a sunflower, a baby. Maybe even a cockroach. Who knows? Whatever it is, it'll be a part of us, this thing right here and now, and we'll be a part of it.”

Libba Bray
“Who but the mad would choose to keep on living? In the end, aren't we all just a little crazy?”

Libba Bray
“Jeez, someone needs to push the reset button on this planet.”