Doris's Reviews > Working Stiff

Working Stiff by Rachel Caine

2203514
Apr 27, 12

Read in April, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Overall I enjoyed this story but there were just way too many "Idiot!!!!" moments for me.

The story started out well, with the protagonist starting a new job in a creepy place - I really don't like mortuaries. I can't call her the hero because she never raises to that level, even though she was / is former Army with a fighting tour in Iraq.

I never got to like her - she seemed whiny and dependent, and quite willing to take orders from just about anyone as long as she didn't have to make any real decisions. Apparently her decision making ability stopped at finding a job and doing a little snooping.

She can't so no to anyone - not even when she isn't under the psychological control of a severe mind altering drug. She was a war vet - but carries a loaded gun in a purse - which she can't figure out how to open when she needs the gun (come on - Stephanie Plum has the same problem but she's a goof up girlie girl!). Now me, if I had been attacked and get into the purse I would have hit the mugger with the purse!!!!

Then there is the whole creepy zombie thing.

It had promise and definitely will be something I will look for the second book of, but this is more a "author's first publication" level than "seasoned author".
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Working Stiff.