Valentina Heart's Reviews > Winter Love

Winter Love by T.T. Kove

May 24, 12

bookshelves: hearts-on-fire, glbt
Read from April 27 to 28, 2012

This review was originally written for Hearts on Fire Reviews and can also be found there.

I must admit that at first glance this story sounded very appealing to me. Vacation love, different setting and snowboarding? Well, yeah, bring it on. However, as I started reading, it didn’t take me long to change my mind.

Lasse and Marko meet at a ski resort, where Marko came with his brother and friend, their respected girlfriends and Kira who you can say had a ‘hard on’ for Marko despite her being a woman. Lasse is there with his friends who are all gay and have some suppressed feelings of their own.

At first Lasse is attracted to Marko’s brother who thinks he’s irresistible and doesn’t always take no for an answer. Only after Marko rescues him from the said brother does their passions ignite and they start on a journey to their happily ever after.

The first thing I didn’t like about this story was the overall writing. It wasn’t necessarily bad, it just felt awkward to me and while I can appreciate it to an extent considering neither of the characters was a native English speaker, it still pulled me out of the story more than once and I just couldn’t get used to it. The first part was better, while everything was still developing between the guys and there was a certain dose of anticipation to it, but as soon as Lasse and Marko got together for the first time, all these situations I didn’t care for started happening. The sex was pretty reckless and didn’t suit either of their personalities and in addition it rushed the whole story. There are several jumps from the ski resort to visiting each other and so on, that interrupt the story and leave all the interesting information leading to that happily ever after unsaid.

There was this whole ‘gay’ issue that didn’t sit well with me, both concerning Marko as well as his brother, and the resolution left a lot unsaid, especially when it comes to the brother Armas. There probably will be a second story, maybe even a third, if the hinted love stories were anything to go by, but unless they have more focus on single issues without just mentioning bits of everything, I don’t think I’ll go there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Love.

04/27/2012