Scott Holstad's Reviews > Googled: The End of the World as We Know It

Googled by Ken Auletta

May 21, 12

bookshelves: didn-t-finish
Read from April 27 to May 21, 2012

I actually don't think I'm going to finish this book, even though I'm 2/3 of the way through. It was interesting at first, learning about the beginnings of Google and what they did, how they did it, the odds they faced, etc. However, now in the book it's about 2008, and Google's established and demolishing competition, and the book's gotten kind of boring. It doesn't help that Google's founders are arrogant, control freak assholes who drive me nuts as I continue through this book. I mean, seriously -- they have to interview every Google job candidate and give them the third degree. AND every employee apparently has to come from an elite school like Cal Tech, MIT, or Stanford, and with perfect grades. So I guess my three degrees with near perfect grades from lesser schools would be scoffed at. Nice. I can't like these people at all. In fact, the way they are portrayed in the book makes me want them to fail. Just arrogant assholes. It's a pity, cause Google's an interesting, important company and the story should be so much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Googled.

04/30/2012 page 226