Andrew Long's Reviews > The Big Miss: My Years Coaching Tiger Woods

The Big Miss by Hank Haney

Apr 27, 2012

did not like it
Read in April, 2012

This book reveals more about Hank Harney than it does about Tiger Woods, who remains a cipher to even those in his closest circles (and possibly even to himself).

Harney seems to have written this book to exonerate himself as a swing coach. The truth is, we'll never know if Tiger's game would have been better had he taken a different coach. This book does reinforce a point -- Tiger's greatest enemy is Tiger.

If you love golf and love Tiger, you'll probably like this book. I am a total non-fan who is simply fascinated by high-level athletes of all types, and as an ardent student of the art of coaching. I learned more about golf reading this book. Even so, some of Harney's egoism was hard to take - it's clear from his writing and the transcripts of the e-mails and texts he sent Tiger that for all his technical sophistication, he would have been a much more effective coach with a higher EQ (emotional quotient). Near the end of the book, he makes a wish list, which includes several items that essentially read, "I wish Tiger was a different person. I wish Tiger had been nicer to me. I wish Tiger had allowed me to work less. I wish Tiger had offered me a popsicle." Folks, I am not making this stuff up.

As huge as Tiger's ego seems to be, this book suggests that Harney's is even bigger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Miss.

message 1: by Unrise (last edited Apr 27, 2012 09:42AM) (new)

Unrise You're a great writer yourself!! Love, Mom

Brian Schrum Your comments echo my sentiments. Great synopsis of the book. Haney appears to be trying to validate his efforts with Tiger - and he comes across as extremely egotistical. I believe we learn more about Haney in this book than further insights into Tiger's life on and off the course. The book did go further in validating my own opinions of Tiger and just how his myopic focus on golf seems to have really come at the behest of personal relationships. I liked him more when it appeared like he was just having fun playing the game. He was still winning tournaments, but his life seemed more in balance. Oh well, I do enjoy golf and it was nice to read about some of the more technical aspects of the golf swing.

Noah Constantine I totally agree with everything you said about Haney. I think that this book was as much of his own memoir as it was about Tiger. However, I do think you were a little overly critical of Haney. Obviously, some of the comments Haney made (I wish he had offered me a popsicle) were foolish and do not come across well, but Tiger did play good golf (statistically supported) while working with Haney, and in fact he was equally as successful as he was while working with Butch, but it was evident Haney wanted to tell this information to the reader.