Meg Overman's Reviews > Origin

Origin by Jessica Khoury

Jan 03, 13

Read from December 28, 2012 to January 03, 2013

I really wanted to love this one. The idea is great, and some of the plot that goes along with it is nicely done. It does come off as a very formulaic structure, though. Every single thing that's mentioned comes back, which could be okay, but it's usually in a very predictable way...and since it happens with everything, I started to suspect and guess (too often correctly) what was coming next.

Most of my problem with the novel (and the reason for the low rating) is the characters. The plot was probably an easier fix: complicate, fluff, whatever. But the characters were a fatal flaw. I never especially loved Pia (and traditionally, I fall in with protagonists pretty quick...even when other readers don't). Her love interest was steeped in cliche, and left a lot to be desired. But, even he was better than the rest of the supporting cast. Part of the problem was that everyone seemed to operate with a single strain of logic. There was no variation. No one did anything entirely unexpected. Even when Pia was surprise, I was not, because the characters were following a too-visible formula. There were no REAL twists. There was evil, and there was good. That's not how people are. It didn't work for me.

I would read the author again, some day. I hope she learns from this one and injects some life and depth into her supporting characters in the future. The creativity, I think, is already there.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Origin.