Katherine's Reviews > American Boy

American Boy by Larry Watson

May 10, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read from May 07 to 10, 2012

“'And now you've taken it upon yourself to determine what people have or haven't a right to say? That's awfully self-important, isn't it?'” (117).
“Although the surrounding hills were now dotted with houses, divided by pavement and leveled into lawns, the terrain was still mine, in the singular way that childhood play takes possession of place” (140-141).
“And suddenly it occurred to me that this darkened housing development was a kind of adult equivalent of Frenchman's Forest, a place men and women built for themselves so they could smoke, drink, and conduct their sexual experiments away from judging eyes” (142).
“...I'd learned that a falsehood could be stated without fear of contradiction—my husband has injured his back—and that others would pretend right along with you” (143).
“...and every word we spoke was wrapped in vapor” (149).
“If the adolescent mind delights in any abstraction, it's recognizing hypocrisy in the world. And even though it exists in such abundance that not seeing it would require real effort, somehow its discovery always felt like real insight to us. And then it helped justify our own rude or lawless behavior—after all, who were they to judge us?” (153).
“It was the kind of look that sends you to the mirror to see what someone else has seen in your face” (161).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Boy.