Nichole (Dirty H)'s Reviews > Who We Are

Who We Are by T.J. Klune

Feb 18, 13

bookshelves: no-thanks

After the big hooplah a few months ago about BOATK, I tried very hard to let it go. Very hard.

But then I started reading Game of Thrones, and I concurrently watched the TV show. Of all books that have had movie or television adaptations, I think most could agree that the TV show follows the book more closely than most. But I was able to pick out at least as many differences between GoT tv show and GoT book as there are between Shelter and BOATK, and it just got me all incensed. And then all this drama about whether or not Fifty Shades of Gray could be considered a plagiarism of Twilight. Now, I have not read FSoG but I would be willing to bet that it is a lot more different from Twilight than BOATK is from Shelter. It just gets me all bothered. So I'm trying to keep it to myself, and I won't say anything more about it after this little rant but I needed to get it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who We Are.

Comments (showing 1-23)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Ditto to your rant. Thanks for doing this and now I need to let the anger go and just ignore this whole issue.

message 22: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn S. Kate, Nichole -- do me a favor -- shut the f*** up -- you don't know what you are talking about. There, now I'M done

message 21: by Nichole (Dirty H) (last edited Apr 29, 2012 09:14PM) (new) - added it

Nichole (Dirty H) Thank you, Lynn, for your well thought out and beautifully expressed opinion. I appreciate you reading my review. I am happy to do favors for you when you ask.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

???

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Moss wrote: "???"

Another example of an author's fans making the author look bad. One of the more charming features of GR.

message 18: by new_user (new)

new_user Hm, I think I would frown upon both instances of plagiarism, LOL. Or something.

Sorry that you were attacked like that, Nichole. Moss, you saw this, right?

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 29, 2012 10:56PM) (new)

Yeah nu, I've seen it crop up in the feed.

People are going crazy around here.

ETA: oh it's just a sockpuppet account. Bah.

Nichole (Dirty H) Well, I was complaining about feeling left out because I never got haters on my reviews, so it's actually kind of exciting!

message 15: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL! Now you're a card-carrying member, Nichole! It's not just around here, Moss. People have been attacked on their blogs and Amazon reviews too.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Nichole (Dirty H) wrote: "Well, I was complaining about feeling left out because I never got haters on my reviews, so it's actually kind of exciting!"

Ask and ye shall receive! Welcome to the club. :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

new_user wrote: "LOL! Now you're a card-carrying member, Nichole! It's not just around here, Moss. People have been attacked on their blogs and Amazon reviews too."

Mazeltov Nichole!

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user I think only a couple times. I felt special, LOL.

message 11: by Lady Wesley (new)

Lady Wesley You all just haven't been criticizing the right authors. I recently witnessed a major meltdown occasioned by criticism of a certain author who shall remain nameless but whose works are adored, to the point of mass hysteria, by many GR readers.

I wonder how they would have reacted on the 19th century version of Goodreads if Mark Twain had posted the following review of that American classic The Deerslayer:
I may be mistaken, but it does seem to me that "Deerslayer" is not a work of art in any sense; it does seem to me that it is destitute of every detail that goes to the making of a work of art; in truth, it seems to me that "Deerslayer" is just simply a literary delirium tremens.

A work of art? It has no invention; it has no order, system, sequence, or result; it has no lifelikeness, no thrill, no stir, no seeming of reality; its characters are confusedly drawn, and by their acts and words they prove that they are not the sort of people the author claims that they are; its humor is pathetic; its pathos is funny; its conversations are -- oh! indescribable; its love-scenes odious; its English a crime against the language.

Counting these out, what is left is Art. I think we must all admit that.

I've always loved that Twain essay, the entire text of which may be found at http://www.pbs.org/marktwain/learnmor....

message 10: by Ravyn (new)

Ravyn Yikes! I actually thought your comments here Nichole were pretty tame compared to a lot of the other hooplah I've seen written regarding this book. Certainly nothing to deserve a "shut the f*** up." Oh well.

And while I don't really get all incensed about the whole "BOATK ripped off Shelter" drama, I can certainly agree that the sentiment is totally legit.

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, I don't see Jonathan Franzen crying about negative reviews. Or screenwriters when their shows and films are ripped new ones on virtually every medium, LOL. They take it and let their work speak for itself. People need to get some class, man.

message 8: by Lori K (new)

Lori K Lynn wrote: "Kate, Nichole -- do me a favor -- shut the f*** up -- you don't know what you are talking about. There, now I'M done"

This is so well said, I'm very impressed. I am now quite sure that none of us know what we are talking about.

The Holy Terror Moss wrote: "Oh well, in that case, I feel totes left out too. I know Kate's had her share. Don't think I've ever seen you trolled, nu?"

Moss, you got trolled on that one review ... let me look for it.

The Holy Terror Found it.

How could you forget SPOILER ALERT?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The Holy Terror wrote: "Found it.

How could you forget SPOILER ALERT?"

Oh haaa I had completely blanked that out. Awesome, I've been blooded.

I flagged Nichole's special friend, but I can't see anything coming of it.

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user No, leave it, so she can be embarrassed. Muahaha.

message 3: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee just wanted to comment re: 50 shades plagiarism of twilight - it started as twilight fanfic - the author acknowledges it and you can still find it for free online (if you know where to look)...I could give a rats ass about the BOAtK thing - I hope that either way the guy who did the movie comes back and says yes/no and it is dealt with and everyone gets closure

★ ☆ Booksaholic ★ ☆ I agree with you Dee. And Fifty shades was a fanfic is NOTHING like Twilight...lol it's awesome that someone woulfd try to say that though, it's obvious they never read either of them if they think that.

message 1: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee doesn't matter if it is nothing like it or not, it is an acknowledged fact and Dear Author did a comparision between the twilight, the original fanfic and the published 50shades - using common words that showed up - the results were interesting on some of the similarities