Mara's Reviews > River Road

River Road by Suzanne  Johnson

Nov 23, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from November 22 to 23, 2012

I had liked Royal Street (a nice surprise given the mixed reviews), but I loved River Road.

It still has a great world-building, rich and very interesting, a mystery plot, a bunch of interesting characters and a strong heroine. I have a fondness for strong women, I love the kick-ass one, but there's a special place for the women like DJ, strong, yes, but never uber, who fight against all odds and come home bruised.

I have only two nits:

-The "ménage a quatre": she is (unwittingly, no doubt) juggling three guys at the same time. She's not sure what is happening in her life. And this is not something I appreciate... For recording purposes only, I admit I'm for team Jean. < grin > He maybe undead, he may have his own agenda, but he doesn't string her along the way Alex is doing (who by the way has no problem in having other affairs), nor he is an unknown as Jack. Can't say I like those two nor the way they treat her.

-The plot was really good, with two mystery mingling. Unfortunately, one of the two was left unanswered. Who/what caused the poisoning? (view spoiler). Either I lost that info or it was never explained. (view spoiler)

The story unfolds with plenty of actions, but also leaves a lot of hooks for the next books. Who is Rand (well, I guess the reader guess pretty easily), what do they (view spoiler) want?

I'm really eager to read the next Sentinels book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read River Road.

Parajunkee SPOILER -- Sorry had to chime in -- it was in there. It was caused when she was coming through. An unwitting side effect...

Mara Thanks! Sometimes I really gobble down books rather than read them "properly". And this "losses" are my side effect :D

Mara Honestly I don't know. You'll probably lose some reference.