Mike's Reviews > A Lonely Death

A Lonely Death by Charles Todd

May 07, 12

Read from April 27 to May 07, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Part historical fiction, part detective mystery and part psychological drama, this book doesn't really succeed as any of these. It's possible my disappointment might stem from the fact that I started the series with book #13, so I've probably missed a lot. Still, I can judge the book as a detective mystery, and found it somewhat wanting. The story moves right along, and there's many possible perps and motives and people hiding secrets, and the suspense of solving the mystery before more murders, but everything is so British, by which I mean understated and passionless. What I disliked most was there was no wrap up, no explanation for how the murderer did what he did.

SPOILER ALERT! Don't scroll down if you're going to read the book!

I don't know if this is a legitimate complaint about the book, or just a sign of the times, but it turns out the motive for the 3 or 4 murders (and the murderer planned on 8) was that the murderer was bullied as a child. And I don't mean anything like college hazing, but just name calling and excluding from play games. OK, it's a motive, and probably happens in real life, but I would have found it more satisfying if the motive had been something more evil.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lonely Death.