Keith Robinson's Reviews > Foreign Identity

Foreign Identity by Becca J. Campbell

4207116
Apr 27, 2012

Read from April 27 to May 02, 2012 — I own a copy

I would classify FOREIGN IDENTITY as a sci-fi romance -- or rather a sci-fi not-quite-romance considering the odd situation between "Jax" and "Kel," the only human characters in the novel. This is a mysterious and unique story about a man and woman plucked from their lives and dumped in a strange, claustrophobic setting with what appears to be a set of clues to lead them out.

But as soon as you think you have a handle on the direction of the plot, the author surprises you with one 90-degree turn after another. In the opening pages I was strongly reminded of the movie SAW in that two people wake up in a room, chained and groggy, confused about how they had got there. There are other similar "how did we get here?" movies, notably CUBE, but readers should know that the similarity to these movies ends just a few pages in. And (spoiler alert) when they finally escaped from the maze of corridors and hid out in the woods, I was happily mystified as to where this was headed next.

There are hints of LOST's smoke monster, although in a different but equally sinister form.

I enjoyed the smooth, solid writing, and the unusual, unpredictable plot. I felt that one scene toward the end could have been a little "bigger" and more dramatic, with less discussion before and after, but ultimately I was satisfied. The closing scene was exactly what I was hoping for, so that sat well with me. There's plenty to think about after the last page, but at the same time the story is nicely finished and wrapped up. It's good to leave the reader musing to some degree.

A thought-provoking novel that would work well both as a stage play and a TV show or modest-sized movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foreign Identity.

04/27/2012
04/28/2012
55.0% "Loving it!"
04/30/2012
72.0% "Oo-er! What Jax just saw out the window! Didn't expect THAT! :-)"
show 1 hidden update…