Rachel at theJeepDiva's Reviews > Merlyn's Raven

Merlyn's Raven by Rose Vanden Eynden

May 13, 2012

Read from April 27 to May 09, 2012

This story is one we are familiar with but yet not. This is a story of Merlyn but instead of the wizard that he was so well known for being. We learn of him as a young man and the young girl who fell in love with him. I love this time period and sword play but the best thing about this time period is the magic. In this age everyone knows of magic some are scared and believe only a demon would wield such powers and others just believe. This story has both of those people.
This story takes place in 5th century Wales. I found this story to be very well written and enjoyable. The plot kept you engaged and turning the digital pages to see what happened next. I am hoping the author will continue this story with a sequel as I am interested to see what will happen next.
The characters were well written, believable and enjoyable. Gwendydd is the girl who falls in love with Merlyn. She meets Merlyn in town and then later at her home where the druid that teaches him is to become an adviser to her grandfather. Her grandfather is later convinced by the druid to allow him to train Gwendydd in healing so that she may be a more sought after wife. However it is not the druid who is to train her but Merlyn himself. When it is announced that she is to marry a man to bring two tribes together it is Merlyn who saves her from the marriage with a prediction. In turn when the High King spirits Merlyn off in the middle of the night it is Gwendydd that saves him. Their love was a more gradual love than love at first sight which also made it more believable.
Also the locations in this story were well described. I wish we were able to spend more time on Avalon. I have always loved hearing about Avalon. This time period has always been my favorite, I love castles sword play and hearing about the general life of the people. The magic and superstition that was alive in this time period also was intriguing. As a child I used to read all I could about King Arthur and the knights of the Round Table. That is why I had to check this book out since it is a never before read angle for me on Merlynn before he became a legendary character.
I must say that as far as secondary characters go in this story I am curious if Rhydderch will be in more stories. Also will this be a series or just one story. If there will be another book you can count me in on reading it also. I give this book 5 stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Merlyn's Raven.

Rose Vanden Eynden Rachel, thank you so much for your review, and for taking the time to read and write about MERLYN'S RAVEN. I am so pleased to see you enjoyed the book. And yes--there is another in the works. It may take some time, so please be patient. :-) Again, my sincere appreciation for your enthusiasm and your review!

Rachel at theJeepDiva Rose wrote: "Rachel, thank you so much for your review, and for taking the time to read and write about MERLYN'S RAVEN. I am so pleased to see you enjoyed the book. And yes--there is another in the works. It ma..."

Thank you for reading my review. It will also be posted on www.thejeepdiva.com on 5/17. I promise to be patient. I understand how long it can sometimes take writing a book. Thanks much!

Rose Vanden Eynden Yes, I am looking forward to my feature on your site. Thank you for having me! ;-)