Wendy Darling's Reviews > Spark

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

CASE # 0197

SUBJECT: Brigid Kemmerer, Author

HYPOTHESIS: Subject writes highly addictive books that are a serious impediment to normal sleep patterns.

Exhibit A: Storm
Exhibit B: Spark

STATUS: Considered a serious risk to all reasonable conduct.

This paper is an emergency presentation to provide anecdotal evidence that the young adult author Brigid Kemmerer is a menace to society. Through her Elemental series, which follows a group of dangerously attractive brothers with the power to harness the forces of nature, she has irresponsibly spread rampant mass hysteria in a thinly disguised attempt to take over the paranormal romance genre.

TEST READERS HAVE REPORTED: irregular breathing, flushed cheeks, and most alarmingly, a tendency to dissolve into incoherent giggles while reading the novels. Left unchecked, the subject will continue to be a detriment to all reasonable behavior as readers seem physically incapable of putting down her books.

Furthermore, after careful examination of her latest novel Spark, the following conclusions have been drawn.*

Theory #1: Brigid Kemmerer may be a gleeful pyromaniac.
Of all the natural earth elements, fire is perhaps the hardest to control and the most thoroughly destructive. Gabriel Merrick has been able to transform this incredibly powerful element all his life--but problem is, right now he's having trouble controlling it. And in his desire to prove himself, he takes on dangerous risks that alienate those he cares about the most. The author's descriptions of the magic harnessed and the gorgeous yet frightening sight of fire flaring out of control are incredibly evocative, and will likely satisfy those who felt let down by a similarly themed but disappointing Struck. Given how convincingly the fire element is described in this book, it's entirely possible that the author's deadly accuracy comes from personal experience with playing with this fascinating and unknowable force.

Theory #2: Brigid Kemmerer is surrounded by gorgeous, playful men who know how to kiss a girl senseless.
It's hard to write a male who is cocky, sarcastic, and a nice guy underneath it all, but Gabriel is a completely believable teenage guy who mouths off without thinking, but who is also capable of decency and tenderness. Both he and Layne, the troubled girl who tutors him, are layered, interesting characters whose relationship develops naturally. All the hot and heavy makeout scenes and underlying emotional growth in this book are likely the result of months and months of hedonistic indulgence as the author "researched" her book.

Theory #3: Brigid Kemmerer stole the prized guidebook on How to Write a Fun Paranormal Romance.
This highly coveted manual outlines how to introduce fascinating powers, nuanced characters, snappy, amusing dialogue, and highly entertaining plots. What's especially interesting about Spark is that Kemmerer mixes up some of the usual paranormal checkpoints so that the main character is denied his power and the romantic interest is unaware of his abilities for most of the book, so that the swoon-worthy romance and the brotherly relationships are what really carry this story through. The fact that the subject was able to write a fun and fluffy book that isn't shallow provides nearly irrevocable proof that the author has confiscated the very few copies of the guidebook that exist.

*Please note that these theories are yet unproven, but the testimony from countless readers is overwhelming authentication.

CONCLUSION: Subject must be captured at all costs and detained until the remaining Elemental books are finished, so test readers may go through the series as quickly as possible. It is absolutely vital that their exposure is limited to a short period of time. Failure to contain Kemmerer's growing popularity will result in untold damage to readers' health, work habits, and relationships as their rampant enthusiasm for her books will continue to override all common sense.

This review also appears in The Midnight Garden. An advance copy was provided by the publisher.

Brigid Kemmerer has offered to prove that her books are not detrimental to your health. She will send a copy of Spark with an inscribed message to one of our readers anywhere in the world. (And no, you don't necessarily have to have read the first book before reading this one.)

If you're interested in volunteering despite all of our attempts to convince you how much reading these books will affect your well-being, you may enter on the blog.

But don't say we didn't warn you.
215 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.

Comments (showing 49-98)

message 98: by Cat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cat Really? Oh this makes me want to read this even more then.

Eunice Yay! Glad you enjoyed it, Wendy. :D

Wendy Darling The ultimate fun and fluffy series, Cat. And hot boys. :D

Yay, 4 stars Eunice!

Elena oh my days Wendy I need to get hold of this asap! Loved the first book!

Wendy Darling Oh, you'll love the second then, Elena! I liked the first one, too, but I think the story and characters are even more interesting in this one. The author makes some unusual choices, which are kind of cool in a PNR book.

Katya I'm really on the fence with this one. Can you answer a spoilery question for me?

Wendy Darling Of course, Katya!

Katya (view spoiler)

Wendy Darling Katya, (view spoiler)

Katya (view spoiler)

Wendy Darling Well, for what it's worth, I like Gabriel in this book and I hate often guys that are assholes who are supposed to be charming. I haven't liked a lot of the boys in books that seem to be very popular, like Noah from The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer or what's his name from Pushing the Limits. I just feel as though these guys have some substance to them and the trash talk is...just that. I mean, my husband is the nicest guy, but he has his moments when he says the most ridiculous things.

The plot is really interesting, too--it's not a straightforward continuation of the Elemental saga, which I actually like. And it's a paranormal book in which the main character can't use his powers. (view spoiler)

Anyway, I hope you'll give it a chance! I liked it even better than the first one.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I really like this series. It's a lot of fun.

Wendy Darling Yeah, I have such a good time reading them too, Stacia! The stories are strong, and the writing feels very assured. Hard to believe the author made her debut this year.

Elaine Oh the second is finally out!
Can't wait to dive into this. I'm 100% sure I'll love this more than the first considering for some weird reason, I wasn't entirely sold on both leading characters.

Wendy Darling I actually like the characters in this one better than in the previous one, Elaine! So maybe you will, too. :)

✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿ I agree, Ms. Wendy. It's TRULY BETTER. ;)

Wendy Darling We are the #2 is #1 club! ;)

Anthi I had tremendous fun reading Storm and I'm starting Spark now, good to know that this one is even better!

Lisa (Fic Talk) Agree completely. Definitely better than the first one. Loved Gabe. He had his issues, I guess that's why I liked him more than Chris.

message 79: by Anthi (last edited Sep 10, 2012 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anthi Lisa wrote: "Agree completely. Definitely better than the first one. Loved Gabe. He had his issues, I guess that's why I liked him more than Chris."

I just finished it and I loved it! Gabe was a more complicated and fustrating character, that's what made him more appealing, but I have to say that after this book I love all the Merrick brothers and their relationship and their banter and theis quarrels, they sound like brothers. Kemmerer did a brilliant job in the way she wrote all their interactions.

Wendy Darling Yay! I'm glad you both liked the book. :) And that you agree Gabe is much more interesting in this book. I had such fun reading it, too. She'd better hurry up and get that next one out!

Purcheria Love your review Wendy. So original.

Wendy Darling Hah, thanks. I had a lot of fun writing it. ;)

message 75: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie HAHA! Favorite review you've ever written. And I totally agree! I was so crazy addicted to this book, I couldn't stop reading. Gabriel is one of my fav book boys now. I'm just sad the last book is not told from Nick's POV. As much as I love Hunter, I think I'd rather have a book about the other twin.

Wendy Darling Your favorite review I've ever written?! Aw.

message 73: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Wendy Darling wrote: "Your favorite review I've ever written?! Aw.

I ended up loving Gabriel in this book--but oh no, I didn't realize Nick isn't the final narrator! Is she just teasing us? How can she skip him?"

Right?! He's got a novella, but I feel like that's not enough...

Joy (joyous reads) dammiiitttt. Must read this book now. Thanks a lot, Ms. Wendy. Way to mess up my carefully planned reading schedule. Lol!

Emily S. I didn't love Gabriel in Storm, but holy cow, I went nuts over him in Spark! I love it when someone who seems totally one-dimensional in one book ends up being deep in another.

If you were one of my students, you'd get full marks for this paper. Excellent review!

Jasprit This is such a fantastic review Wendy! Kemmerer did an amazing job in creating such a swoon worthy bunch of brothers, I can't wait to read more of the Merricks :)

message 69: by Wendy Darling (last edited Sep 13, 2012 04:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling Boo, Nick deserves his own book! A novella is definitely not enough.

JOY. Put everything down and go read this series.

I totally agree with you, Ems--Gabriel wasn't my favorite in the first book (and a lot of readers disliked him, it seems), but it seems pretty clear the author did this on purpose. And yay, gold star from Ems! Hah hah.

Same here, Jasprit. At least they're coming out every 6 months or so rather than a whole year in between books, I guess. Still not fast enough to suit my taste, though. ;)

Stormy Ha ha! Awesome review!

message 67: by Jim (new)

Jim I love this review, Wendy! I have been warned.:)

message 66: by Kala (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kala This review is awesome! Definitely going to be checking out these books :)

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways You've raised your own already high bar with this one, Wendy Darling. I need a triple-like button!

Wendy Darling Thanks Stormy! It is an awesome book, too.

It's a fun book, Jim. :) I'm afraid I giggled throughout it rather foolishly, but I WILL DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT.

Ooo do give this series a go sometime, Kala! Then you get to pick out your favorite brother. :D

Hah hah, thank you kindly, Sir Richard. *sweeping curtsey*

Alyssa Hilarious review, Wendy! I definitely liked this book a lot more than the first. My hat goes off to the author for making Gabriel, the classic hot headed jerk, such a fun and complex character to read about.

Nemo (the Moonlight Library) This is one of the most original reviews I've read here. Lovely!

message 61: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza Awesome review!!

Wendy Darling Yay! I like book two better than book one too, Alyssa--and I already liked that one a lot. You're right, she really did an excellent job of tweaking the classic bad boy into something much more interesting.

Thanks so much, Nemo and Rebecca! :)

Ashley I loved this book! Glad you did, too!

message 58: by K. (last edited Sep 13, 2012 05:11PM) (new)

K. Love this, Wendy! Wish I were creative and fun enough to do this ;) I'll be sure to give this one a try. How can I not after this?

That's a lot of this-es in two lines.

Wendy Darling Ashley! Are you the same person who had the Glitter Lit blog? It's been ages since I've seen a post from you if so.

And thanks so much, K. I had some fun with it, since I know the author is a good sport and the books are just so much fun. ;) They're great when you're in the mood for something that's more light-hearted.

Ashley Yes, maam! My laptop has been broken for months! When i feel really inclined i wil, try to post a review or comment on my nook. Generally, though, i lack the patience for it. I still keep up with yours!

Ali *The Black Heart* Goodreads needs to make a "love" button. Like was not enough for how much I loved this review! You're so clever ;)

message 54: by Liz (new)

Liz LMAO, great review Wendy. I have got to get to this series!

message 53: by Sherbie (new) - added it

Sherbie awesome review, as usual! :D

message 52: by Sesana (new)

Sesana Loved this review! But I'm starting to suspect that you may be conspiring with Kemmerer, since this review made me a) giggle wildly and b) add the first book in the series to my TBR with lightning speed.

Wendy Darling Ali (GingerRead) wrote: "Goodreads needs to make a "love" button. Like was not enough for how much I loved this review! You're so clever ;)"

Heh, thank you. Fun book to read and definitely a fun review to write!

Aw, I hope your laptop gets fixed soon, Ashley. It's nice to see you around here, at least.

Oh Liz, you read adult UF--this series has a similar feel to those, I think, so it's likely you'll enjoy this.

Thank you, Sherbie! :)

And hah, if ONLY I were surrounded by hot men all the time, Sesana. I'm glad you're going to give this series a try, though.

message 50: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 Groovy review as usual, Wendy. Scheduling this series into my reading list for next month. :D

Wendy Darling Thanks Expy! I hope the boys make you swoon as much as the rest of us.

Bonus points if you can figure out the reasoning behind the case # for this "file." ;)

« previous 1