Anna's Reviews > Midnight Rescue

Midnight Rescue by Elle Kennedy

Oct 25, 12

bookshelves: adult, contemporary, read-2012, romance, romantic-suspence, spies-agents
Read from July 10 to 11, 2012

Review posted at Books to Brighten your Mood

Midnight Rescue was a surprise for me! Not because I wasn't expecting it to be good, but because I was afraid to pick a romantic suspense book after all my mediocre choices within this genre over the past months. And I'm glad to say, that finally, I got a book that warmed me up to the genre again :)

Midnight Rescue is the story of Abby, a strong and deeply wounded both physically and emotionally assassin, member of an elite team of female assassins run by the elusive Noelle (whose story I so want to read by the way) and Kane, member of an elite team himself, who has his own set of scars and fears.

Reading their story, was fascinating! I always like my heroes to be a little tortured, not because I'm some kind of sadist but because those characters, present certain challenges and have more interest in seeing them overcome their personal problems and pursue their HEA. And Abby is certainly one of those characters with her past. The nightmare she had to live through has deeply affected her in the present, the way she perceives human interaction and sexual relationships. Seeing her overcome all those issues and getting close to Kane was beyond interesting. And Kennedy did an excellent job in describing and building her character. Abby is one of the strongest female characters I have ever encountered.

Kane on the other hand, is your typical alpha hero to drool all over, I enjoyed reading about him, but his character development wasn't so great as Abby's. Sure, Kennedy did a splendid job building not only her main characters, but the secondary ones as well, but I think that Kane needed a little bit more work.

And now that I mentioned the secondary characters, I just have to say it. One of the best things about Midnight Rescue is how along with the main story, Kennedy explored, more than I expected, the story of some of the secondary characters making me feel at times that I was reading not only Abby and Kane's story but Isabel and Trevor's as well. Their story was a great addition in an already great story, spicing things up even more and wetting my appetite for the future installments in this series. I mean Isabel and Trevor intrigued me. And I want to read their story like right now :)

The plot was full of action and twists, the villain was a psychopath like many others out there, but the whole setting, the description of the "final battle" and how they saved those girls at the end was genius and kept me at the edge of my seat.

All in all, Midnight Rescue is a great military romance title that I devoured in one sitting and I can't wait to get my hands on the next books in this series. Totally recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Rescue.