Valentina Heart's Reviews > Jamie's Merman

Apr 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: glbt, glbt-sf-futur-fantasy-paran, the-romance-reviews
Read on April 27, 2012

This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

I was somewhat skeptical when I first started this book since I can't really say I have a thing for fish, even if they are of the human/shifter variety. However, Daisy Harris did manage to break me of my prejudice after just a few paragraphs and I found her Merman to be cute and funny.

Jamie is a guy who works in a bar by the lake and has a tendency of collecting strays. This particular day he was all set on enjoying a sunny afternoon with his boat in the middle of water while the weekend rush was over and the coast was clear. The last thing he expected was a half-dead looking guy in a fish costume to plop into his boat and ask for sex.

Yeah, I pretty much laughed the whole first half of the book. Some expressions and jokes were a bit over-used but I still thought them funny and kept on reading. The introduction of Sally, Martin's designated mate in their world, gave me a fright for a moment where I thought all three of them might end up together – I was so not okay with that. Fortunately Martin and Jamie do make a couple by the end and without any extra people in the mix.

The second part of the book really wasn't as good as the first and it all seemed a bit rushed. In addition, there was none of the extra sweetness and sexual tension that I'd found to be very appealing in Daisy Harris's College Boys. This was a typical paranormal kind-of-romance where it was obvious from the start who would end up together and without all the necessary connections a couple should have once we remove the paranormal element. They were just designated to end up together and all the effort to make them actually fit together was skipped.

However, I do find Daisy Harris to be funny in her tales and her guys promising. I'll probably be reading the second book in the series as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jamie's Merman.