Janie's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

195986
This was THE BOOK for me. I had spent a pre-university education reading (and sometimes not reading) classics because they were required. Finally, in my senior year, we were invited to choose a great work of literature as our big project in AP English. I chose Jane because its an awesome name to have.

Reading it was the first time I've ever really loved a work of classic literature. Jane and Helen, Jane and Rochester, Jane and God, Jane and Herself. These were all relationships that were powerful and important and felt familiar to my little 18 year old spirit. I wanted to crawl into the bed and hold Helen, I wanted to make out with Mr. Rochester (remember this was my teenage self, so make-out was the most relevant to my reality), and I wanted to be friends with Jane. With this book, I thought, "Not all hope is lost. Maybe I can love great books."
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Janie This epic novel has everything: romance, intrigue, mystery, scandal, tragedy, heartache, hope, and reconciliation. Quite frankly, this is my favorite book of all time.

The relationship between Jane and Mr. Rochester really hits the spot for many readers. Jane was a post-modern girl, living in a Victorian world.

Michael Jones in what way do you say that she was postmodern? There are many definitions of postmodernism floating around. I would like to suggest that there's a way in which she reminds you of a medieval saint as well.

Penny for your thoughts.

message 3: by Janie (last edited Jun 05, 2012 07:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janie Great question! I certainly don't hold a negative view of postmodernism. I think it is fairly neutral and a reality for people my age; we're all postmodern whether we like it or not. Just like modernism, postmodernism introduces positive and negative things. One great positive characteristics of "us" is that we identify with things ancient (or at least we say/ think we do). This is especially true of the religiously devout among us, so your observation of Jane as like a medieval saint may be why I identify with her so strongly.

Obviously postmodern readers aren't the first to know and love Jane (and Dorothea Brooke from Middlemarch and other Victorian female protagonists), but I suppose I'm trying to identify something specific that draws me to her in the light of the postmodern context. Jane is most certainly anti-modern (pre-modern?) in many ways, which is why I called her a postmodern woman.