MyGoodBookshelf's Reviews > Tempting the Best Man

Tempting the Best Man by J. Lynn

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: chicklit-romance, fiction
Read in April, 2012

(This review also appears on Amazon.co.uk)

Think of all of the cheesy clichés that usually spring up in a romance novel. One regularly used device is the heroine's car breaking down and her consequently being rescued by the hunkiest specimen of manhood alive- in this case, the man she has been in love with forever who *also* happens to be her brother's best friend.

Meet Maddie: Maddie has been in love with Chase Gamble since she was a little girl and it seems that she cannot escape him- and is destined to be forever thought of as just his friend's `little sister,' even in her twenties, much to her despair. No matter where she is, he's there too- and now she is matron of honour at her brothers wedding and he the best man, she is forced to spend a bit more time with him.

See, I told you it was cheesy. Over the course of four day wedding celebrations, the two lead characters end up being locked in a room together and getting a bit steamy but then it being `a mistake', the leads are forced to share a hotel suite because of a `booking mistake'... I could go on and on, but I don't need to. Read this novel and you will experience all of these clichés for yourself.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm being negative. I'm not. Actually this was quite a readable romance with fairly likeable characters and was a bit of a kindle bargain, but after a while the constant clichés started grinding me down and I just knew what was coming next. If you enjoy Mills and Boon then you will be more than familiar with the context of this novel and the multiple `misunderstandings' that prevent the two protagonists actually getting together. It was predictable- I wanted a twist of some sort, but it just never really happened.

Still, the writing was good, the romance scenes pretty decent and the male lead does sound too hunky (and lets face it, believable) for words. Nevertheless, if you're looking for a light-hearted, easy-read romance to pass away a few hours- then you could do a lot worse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempting the Best Man.