Gwen's Reviews > The Soldier of Raetia

The Soldier of Raetia by Heather Domin

Aug 24, 12

bookshelves: alphabet-soup, historical-fiction
Read from August 23 to 24, 2012

Based on the number of locations on my Kindle for this book, I expected to take longer reading it. But to my surprise, it's a very fast read.

The attention to detail is stunning, but it isn't overwhelming. It's definitely well-researched. I don't think I've learned so much about Rome and her citizens since I took Latin in high school.

I also enjoyed the characters, even though Dardanus comes off a bit cold. I liked how his relationship with Valerian developed slowly over time instead of the usual formula of meet, intense passion, fall out, angst, and reunion. There is angst and passion and even a misunderstanding causing a bit of fall out, but none of that comes from convenient character stupidity, which I found rather refreshing.

Lastly, on a personal note, this book is a terrible soporific. I read it while on a trip across five states, and the first night at a hotel in West Virginia I had trouble sleeping, so I decided I'd read for a while and see if that could help knock me out (since supposedly that works for some people). Didn't work AT ALL.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soldier of Raetia.