Colby's Reviews > The Space Between Us

198634
Jul 17, 2007

bookshelves: shelfie-eligible-books
Read in July, 2007

My favorite quote from this book:
"...How, despite our lifelong preoccupation with our bodies, we have never met face-to-face with our kidneys, how we wouldn't recognize our own liver in a row of livers, how we have never seen our own heart or brain. We know more about the depths of the ocean, are more acquainted with the far corners of outer space than with our own organs and muscles and bones. So perhaps there are no phantom pains after all; perhaps all pain is real; perhaps each long-ago blow lives on into eternity in some different permutation and shape; perhaps the body is this hypersensitive, revengeful entity, a ledger book, a ware house of remembered slights and cruelties.

"But if this is true, surely the body also remembers each kindness, each kiss, each act of compassion? Surely this is our salvation, our only hope - that joy and love are also woven into the fabric of the body, into each sinewy muscle, into the core of each pusating cell?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between Us.

02/24/2016 marked as: read

Barbara I just read that part last night, and I, too, was touched by the poignancy of that paragraph.

Jeanne Yes, it resonated with me, too.

Tamar Siegel silverman Just read that part , i also thought it was beautiful. The whole massage scene, eradicating the bruises, bringing life back into the broken woman, was so descriptive and poetic. I am a shiatsu therapist, and i totally relate to what transpired in that passage.

message 4: by Keegan (new) - added it

Keegan What chapter is this from?

message 5: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Read this passage last night and found it beautiful

message 6: by Maricarmen (new) - added it

Maricarmen Estrada M Beautiful quote, thank you! Now I want to read this book too :D

message 7: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann I have to admit this long passage about "the body"was flowery and lyrical, and I know she was writing something I should probably pay attention to, but it lost my attention. My mind started to wander. Now that I read it here, it is quite nice. I often feel though, as in music the melody can get lost in a heavy arrangement, so thoughts and ideas can get lost in the language a writer chooses.