Kat (Lost in Neverland)'s Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

This book will feature Cinder and Little Red Riding Hood and will take place in France.

Holy....cheese.

UPDATE: COVER REVEAL!!

description

So much nicer than Cinder!

After Finishing

As the second book in the Lunar Chronicles, this one follows Cinder after her arrest and escape from prison with the help of a hormonal 'Captain' named Carswell Thorne.
The story also follows Scarlet Benoit, a farm girl living in a small town in France. Scarlet's grandmother has been missing for over two weeks and she's desperate to get her back. When she meets Wolf, he offers to help her. She's wary of this tall and dark newcomer, not fooled by his shy demeanor. She asks herself; how can she trust a street fighter she met only hours before? Reluctantly, she accepts his help and off they go, Scarlet and the Wolf, through the woods to rescue grandma from sadistic wolf mutants.

The perspective switches from Scarlet to Cinder often, and I found myself attached to both stories and in love with Meyer's extremely likeable characters. Perspective switches can be difficult to read, but Meyer distributed them so well. Just when I was getting a bit bored with one storyline, she'd switch to the next one and I'd be eagerly turning the pages again. It wasn't every chapter either, it would be every two or three, which was brilliant, especially if one of the story had an intense action sequence.

You will not hear me say this often, but I actually liked this book a lot more than the first one. Meyer has an incredible talent for making badass heroines and giggle inducing/swoony love interests.
Scarlet was fiery, determined, straight-forward, and overall fantastic.

Wolf was...

description

Since he was your typical 'tall, dark haired, muscly' dude with 'amazing eyes', I expected him to be all arrogant and irritatingly cocky.
But, praise Meyer, he was the opposite.

He was demure, awkward, a little shy, perhaps a bit confused, and freaking adorable. It was kind of weird, when you really thought about it, that it was Little Red Riding Hood and The Wolf, per say.
I mean, come on, that's nasty.
But you can't think of them as that; they're completely their own character and are separated from the fairytale.

Captain Carswell Thorne.

description

This guy irritated me at first, I will admit. He was your typical perverted character who believed he was 'smooth with the ladies' and even painted a goddamn naked woman on the side of his goddamn spaceship.
But he grew on you after a while, especially whenever he said or did something, I imagined Captain Jack from Doctor Who saying or doing it in his kind of cute, arrogant way. It made Thorne a more entertaining character, that's for sure.

Hehehehe.

Even though that's all he was; a mood lighter. Simply there to lighten the mood and make a few pervy jokes. Not much backstory to him.

The plot, the pacing, the writing was all brilliantly done. I was never bored and, like I said, it was much better than Cinder. I can't wait to see what Meyer does with the next one.

43 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

Kat (idangerous) I'm still on the first one!! EKK!! I NEED TO FINISH IT NOW!!!

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Haha, I haven't read this one yet, but it sounds AWESOME. Red Riding Hood? YEEEESSS!!

Kat (idangerous) I love Red Riding Hood! You should try Red Rider's Hood It's kind of a different take on Red Riding Hood. I can't say how good or not good it is yet cause I'm about 1/2 way through...what I can say is it's not really what you'd think it'd be like :) Now I must read Cinder soon! Probably have to reserve it again at my library :(

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

DAMIAN!!!!

Love the cover.

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Lyn wrote: "DAMIAN!!!!

It's gorgeous, isn't it? Ahhh, I can't wait for it to come out! :D

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Kat (Loki's Loyal Handmaiden) wrote: "Lyn wrote: "DAMIAN!!!!

Love the cover."

It's gorgeous, isn't it? Ahhh, I can't wait for it to come out! :D"

The first book wasn't my favorite, but I did enjoy the story. I;m very excited about the sequel. I love the Prince.

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Lyn wrote: "Kat (Loki's Loyal Handmaiden) wrote: "Lyn wrote: "DAMIAN!!!!

Love the cover."

It's gorgeous, isn't it? Ahhh, I can't wait for it to come out! :D"

The first book wasn't my favorite, but I did enj..."

Really? Same here, I didn't love the first one, but Scarlet sounds amazing.

Kat (idangerous) I can't wait! I'm going to be waiting at the store for this book! I need to buy the first one as well..I thought book 1 was good-great. But the 2nd on sounds soo much better!

AMAZING COVER!

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Kat wrote: "I can't wait! I'm going to be waiting at the store for this book! I need to buy the first one as well..I thought book 1 was good-great. But the 2nd on sounds soo much better!

AMAZING COVER!"

It totally does! I LOVE THE COVER TOOOO! I really hated the Cinder cover. I don't know why, but the high heel with the gears inside her foot...Eh.

Kat (idangerous) I didn't hate the Cinder cover, i thought it was odd but i didn't hate it. This cover is better though :)

Charlie Chouinard I'm taking a Poll on my blog for who would cast as the best Scarlet here: http://charliebooks.blogspot.ca Because Movie rights for the Lunar Chronicles are in discussion! eg Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Brittney Snow, or Amy Adams.

Hannah Lyons The next one (Cress) is based on Rapunzel. She's called Rapunzel because a witch caught her dad stealing some rapunzel (an edible plant) and took the baby in return. Hence Meyer's named her Cress - another edible plant. She's stuck in a satellite rather than a tower :).

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies) Wow. I need to get my ass around to reading the Cinder series.

Megan Captain Jack is exactly what I thought as well the first moment Captain Thorne was introduced!