Lara's Reviews > Don't Look Back

Don't Look Back by Karin Fossum

May 09, 2012

Read from April 26 to May 08, 2012

There is a certain joy experienced by a mystery lover who has just discovered a brand new (to her) series that she knows she will become a favorite. There is a certain glee born of finding that the series already has about eight books to it, and that there will be no waiting one to two years for the next installment...when she can devour them at her leisure. (Mwahahahahaha!)

I loved this book. The head detective is a gentle man, yet passionate about police work. There were moments of sheer poetry in this book and curious little detours that added texture and provided a sense of changing pace that I found delectable.

I also have a thing for Scandinavia, Norway in particular, and enjoyed the cultural feel of the small town characters as described by the author.

How to know if you'll like it too:

I'm a huge fan of PBS Mystery, Inspector Morse's replacement and the new protege...dang it, what are their names?? Ah, Inspector Lewis and DS Hathaway! I like them better than Morse actually (Lewis' Predecessor). But I digress.

I also enjoyed Wallander (played by Keneth Branagh) but couldn't get into Aurelio Zen .

My point is, this series by Karin Fossum stars Inspector Sejer, widowed, introspective and committed. He adopts the young officer Skarre, also multilayered, as a protege and finds a friend in spite of himself.

This series is *made* to be developed into a series for PBS, and as such is sort of a cross between Wallander and Lewis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Look Back.

message 1: by Janet (new) - added it

Janet Briggs Stella review Lara! I hope it's available for Kindle :)

Lara Janet wrote: "Stella review Lara! I hope it's available for Kindle :)"

I read it on my kindle app!
My local public library uses amazon for kindle e-loans.

message 3: by Janet (new) - added it

Janet Briggs My library does too, via, but I couldn't find anything by Fossum :(

message 4: by Janet (new) - added it

Janet Briggs Janet wrote: "Stella review Lara! I hope it's available for Kindle :)"

s/b stellar (not Stella!)