Charlotte's Reviews > Flutter

Apr 26, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: arc, 100-books-in-a-year-challenge-2012, no-thankyou
Read from July 05 to 07, 2012

Flutter followed a girl named Emery. She's haunted by seizures that transport her to other times, which she calls 'loops'. After being called to a place called Esperanza in her loop, she breaks away from her hospital ward where her doctor father is keeping her, and sets off on a journey. When there, she meets Ash, a boy with secrets of his own. Emery and Ash's stories are intertwined, and they must figure out how they're connected before it's too late.

I may have given this book one star, but I did enjoy it throughout the beginning. A lot of little things began to pile up, which made me dislike it. Like the fact that, here's Emery, deathly ill and on her own in a cabin in the woods, making dinner because Ash asked her too. You don't have to be a feminist to get annoyed that this happens during the whole duration of her time at Esperanza Beach. Ash goes off and works, protects Emery, does his chivalrous duty. While Emery stays weak and fragile. (I understand, she's sick. That doesn't mean she has to be helpless.) And when her and Ash are making out, he's reaching up to hold her throat? I think that description needs to be rewritten ASAP.

The loops were the best part of the book. But there weren't enough of them. I understand Emery didn't want them to happen to her, but I wish she hadn't spent the majority of this book pushing them back and stopping them. I loved the descriptions in the loops, and 'her boy'. I just wish the rest of the book was as good as the loop chapters. The whole mystery about the loops, and what was happening to her was intriguing but the ending ruined it.

I'm not going to mention much about the end, just that it came out of NOWHERE. Not a good thing.

This book was just a hyped-up romance, which I didn't realize until the end. I don't recommend this unless you're dying to read it. (view spoiler)

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flutter.

07/05/2012 page 94