Tuesday's Reviews > In Search of Nectar

In Search of Nectar by Kirkus MacGowan

Apr 26, 12

Read in April, 2012

I have to admit to something that I’ve never done before, and swore that I would never do. I chose this short story because the cover art was of a gnome. I have a very special place in my heart for gnomes, and have been the surrogate parent to one for over 15 years. Our gnome’s name is Gary the Garden Gnome, and unlike Hedwicket, Fourth Counselor of the Fifth Generation of the Third Company of Gnome Literalists, he just sits there, with his creepy eyes, never conversational and luckily never violent, but after reading In Search of Nectar, now I give him a wide berth and wonder.

This quick little read had me laughing out loud and holding my breath at one moment while boring bachelor Wilburn is taken on an adventure that he’s sure will yield some magical secret to gnome-kind. Plus Hedwicket is pretty prone to violence and everyone knows not to mess with a pissed off garden gnome, so he had no choice.

The adventure is fast paced and had a great resolution, even though I groaned just a bit. I love the idea behind In Search of Nectar, and thought the writing style was precise. MacGowan was really able to fit a lot into a small package. Kind of like gnomes, right?

The one message that I took away from In Search of Nectar is that there are wonderful, pleasing, and accommodating husbands in all walks of life!

Kirkus MacGowan is most definitely on my Reader Radar.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Search of Nectar.