Finn's Reviews > Miss Lonelyhearts & The Day of the Locust

1943498
May 08, 12

Recommended to Finn by: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Read from April 26 to May 08, 2012 — I own a copy

Nathanael west packs more genius, emotion and meaning into the 58 pages of Miss Lonelyhearts that most people can do in hundreds. This novella left an aching in me that few works of art have been able to give, and somehow it manages to still be funny. Not the kind of funny you can laugh at, the kind you hurt at. There are passages with such beauty and insight into being a human who is in a bad way, I wish more people could share in this. Read it, please.

The Day of The Locust is just as good. Again, West uses a localized area and group of people to talk about the meanness in many more than those depicted in the nonel. There aren't any nice people in this book at all by the end, though one really god damned tries. Homer Simpson is this book's Lonelyhearts, even though we don't follow him. He tries to be good to to other but he is in not a place that allows such behavior. All of the characters are interesting and there are sections of this book that have to be some of the best I've ever read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Lonelyhearts & The Day of the Locust.

04/26/2012 page 8
04/27/2012 page 40
22.0% ""He read it for the same reason than an animal tears at a wounded foot: to hurt the pain." really good quote this is really good"
05/02/2012 page 86
46.0% "Nathanael west packs more genius, emotion and meaning into the 58 pages of Miss Lonelyhearts that most people can do in hundreds"
05/08/2012 page 86